It's Been A Long Time ,,,,

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by Dizzy Duck, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Dizzy Duck

Dizzy Duck Elite Refuge Member

since I posted on the forums , more less visited. As far as waterfowl, I haven't taken many pictures of them either and need to get back to them! I finally drops a few bucks on the Canon 7D II of which I love the AF but still am not impressed with the noise performance, but with more shooting and the newer Topaz DeNoise 6, perhaps I can live with it. The 5D IV is on my list for here in the near future as well as the new Sigma 500 f4 prime. As most of you know, I am still a "rookie" at birds in flight, but the new Canon AF is making a transition pretty easy. Of course I pick subjects a little more tricky than waterfowl to learn on with radical aerobatics and sudden turns, but it is what makes it fun. I have a re-claimed landfill close by that has been replanted in warm-season grasslands that is a host to upland birds and raptors which has become quite a draw to BIF photographers he in southern PA and Maryland. The Hopewell Township Recreation Area is located in York County PA, just above the Mason-Dixon Line with Maryland and has been drawing quite a few photographers and birders here in the past few weeks with the Northern Harriers and Short-eared Owls. All of the action takes place in-front of a nice parking area where you can set up right in front of your vehicle which is great for old folks like me.. So here are a few shots of my BIF attempts with both species.....

Young Male Northern Harrier (Gray Ghost)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

turkeytamer41 and boykinsbuddy like this.
  2. Dizzy Duck

Short-eared Owl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

turkeytamer41 and boykinsbuddy like this.
  3. DEADEYE DICK

DEADEYE DICK Senior Refuge Member

Ya,I wish I was as "bad" as you are at BIF

As the usual,great job Diz!!

4. WuChang

WuChang Elite Refuge Member

Hey Diz
    I just sent a link to this to several 'chasers' that are going to be envious of getting a 'ghost' and even more so of the short-ear...... in enough light to actually get a photo

I will be interested in your evaluation of the 5DIV--I need to replace the old 1D MKIIN and a 1DXII is a bit out of my budget

5. Dizzy Duck

I still have and shoot my old Mark IIN and will until oit finally croaks, "If Ever" LOL... It will be a while before I pickup the 5D IV. Right now I'm cursing the 7D 2! LOL

6. WuChang

WuChang Elite Refuge Member

I know what you mean about the 7DII-- love the AF and the DOF of the crop sensor but it is a bit gritty
    I use Imagenomics but Art Morri and Arash Hazeghi swear by NeatImage Pro

Did some work for the USFWS at a refuge and experimented with Auto ISO---
    Yeah, I know-- a noisy shot is better than no shot at all but I quickly reverted back to old school manual settings and hoped the the light would get better
    Decent light...7DII shines if you will and I was quite pleased with the images....and so were they

Shot a 5DSR shooting bison in South Dakota last May--- love it but I'd need a much better and faster computer and a ton of storage for the files
    It doesn't have a real high ISO range but the files clean up better than even the 5DIII's

BTW-- my old 1DMKIIN gave up the ghost at over 550,000 clicks-- the cost to replace the shutter was just too much to justify and KEH gave me a good deal on selling it for parts.