It's what they're eating, however ...

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by JFG, Feb 28, 2017.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

I meant the reason, not the similarity, Cooksey. No doubt though, I could see hemp being useful for its seeds to wildlife. They have it out at Quivira growing wild. Neat to see. Know some fellas that may or may not have sold some of it as the real thing. :l

2. Albino Woodie

Albino Woodie Senior Refuge Member

I agree, the third looks like bacopa or water hyssop. I have it in a beaver pond and the birds don't frequent that area much since it showed up there, but there is also a ton of smartweed and other food in other areas of the pond.

Roots, stem structure, and it disappearing once the impoundment is drained just points to it IMO. I could be wrong but that's what it looks like to me. If you can catch it flowering i think that will help nail down exactly what it is.

3. boatdriver

boatdriver Refuge Member

The third picture is a hyssop species, possibly Bacopa rotundifolia. If it produces 2-4 yellowish flowers from the upper nodes, that is probably what it is... I can't quite figure out the first 2 pictures though. Working on it.

4. KAHunter

KAHunter Senior Refuge Member

Im gonna get a pic of mine this weekend. I will post sunday. It has been coming on strong the last two winters as they have been warmer than usual. Must be able to oversummer in the dry ground. Will be interesting to get a real id.

5. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for looking at it. Please let me know what you find out. I'm with the rest that the third pic is definitely a bacopa species.

6. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

I found some true alligator weed in a retention pond today. Two things that were distinctly different from the "hyssop" I have was that the stem was much more hollow/firm/crisp and that it was larger and not pliable like the hyssop is. Stem snapped like a small celery stalk in your fingers. You can't break the hyssop, only bend it.

As for flowering, I'll get the guys to keep an eye out for it. They tell me they have never seen it flower but they aren't down there much and the water pepper and panic grass could be obscuring it if it blooms after the other stuff starts coming up.

7. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

One intetesting fact about alligatorweed is if the stem growth occurs while the plant is in the water then the stem is hollow so as to provide flotation. If stem growth occurs while not flooded then it is solid. If you walk on thick patches of alligatorweed in which stem growth occurred in water but through drawdown is now dry one will hear a snap, crackle pop as you pop the stems in the individual champers.

8. da fowl slayer

da fowl slayer Elite Refuge Member

I had a farm that bordered quivera few yrs ago

It was covered in wild cannabis everywhere

I will say it would be loaded w doves as well

We eradicated it it my wetland

Steve
    My place was on north east corner of refuge

Raymond rd and hwy 19

It was a smoke hole !!!!!!!:bow

9. da fowl slayer

da fowl slayer Elite Refuge Member