I've been hearing about "Ugly steak" and how good it is?

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by badhabit, Dec 19, 2014.

1. PutUmDown870

PutUmDown870 Senior Refuge Member

London broil continues to cook for a while after you take it off the heat, obviously all meat does but it ruins london broil pretty easily. Let the meat come to room temp for atleast an hour or 2. Good dose of salt and pepper, hot grill until rare, pull the meat off and tent/wrap with foil and let it rest for 15-20 minutes. Top it off with a little chimichurri sauce. mmm

callinfowl likes this.
  2. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

I love me some Tri Tip. It seems a lot of people have no idea what it is. I will take that any day over brisket and twice on Sundays. I have never had a good brisket and I have tried it in many states and in several different ways.

3. itallushrt

itallushrt Elite Refuge Member

Tri-tip is the now preferred cut for the ICS (International Chili Society) winners.

http://www.chilicookoff.com/Recipe/Recipe_WCCC_Recipes.asp?Cat=1

As for flank it is my fave cut probably. I cook it regularly for my own version of carne asada or tacos. I marinate overnight in fresh squeezed lime juice, a small splash of apple-cider vinegar, garlic, black pepper and diced fresh cilantro. The lime juice & vinegar really helps break it down. When I cook it is on a 600 degree primo oval xl till med rare, rest 10 mins, cut across the grain. It won't be a piece of leather.

4. blinddog

blinddog Elite Refuge Member

We eat a lot of LB. Choose a marbled cut. Marinate in something simple for a few hours and cook hot and fast to rare. Tent and rest to come up to med rare and slice across the grain.

Very flavorful and tasty cut. But you MUST slice across grain and dont go past med rare- otherwise it will be tough. Flavorful cut, it's my daughter's favorite. Got one in the refrigerator for her as she's just come home from St. Thomas for the holidays.

callinfowl likes this.
  5. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

There's only one way to do a brisket, low and sloooow with a healthy dose of smoke.

6. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

We do at least one big tri-tip per week.

Dry rub.
    3min per side in a nuclear hot iron pan and the under the broiler for another 3.5 min per side.

Awesome.

7. Sault Ste. Marie

Sault Ste. Marie Elite Refuge Member

Great story, CF. Thank God for taste buds and for good cooks!

PS And, Oh, to be the skinny kid again (or at least to fit into his pants).:eek::z

8. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Try marinading overnight a Tri Tip in Chakka MMM sauce (available in major supermarkets) with some fresh crushed garlic and a good amount of black pepper and hen barbecue to just medium rare.

9. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Thanks Craig , I will try that out next time.
    I use Chakka's on my duck poppers , never tried it on anything else , I don't know why .
    Thanks for the idea.
    DK:tu

10. geese4u

geese4u Elite Refuge Member

The "Ugly Steaks" looked like hangar steaks in the images I saw.