I've been hearing about "Ugly steak" and how good it is?

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by badhabit, Dec 19, 2014.

1. huntaholic21

huntaholic21 Senior Refuge Member

When I do a tri tip, I marinade for an hour or so with a peppery/salty blend. Take it out throw a rub on it and cook indirect at about 225 for an hour or so with whatever wood chunks you prefer. Then sear it over hot coals for a minute or 2 a side. Turns out fantastic. Never much leftovers. Reminds me of sous vide only you get that great smoke flavor.

callinfowl likes this.
  2. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

Kroger sells the steaks of this or similar cut as Flat Iron steak We marinade them a couple of hours in Naturally Fresh marinade (if you can find it) and cook 6-7 minutes per side on a hot gas grill. Have it once a week. It is superb and we always fly several frozen to our daughter and husband in the Bay area of the left coast (they can't get the same cut there).

3. pumpgunner

pumpgunner Elite Refuge Member

I like a dry rub on my tri tips. Favorite is salt, pepper and garlic powder.

callinfowl likes this.
  4. FOWLER267

FOWLER267 Guest

Years ago I worked for Schwan's Frozen Foods and we sold a tri tip which was called the Big Sam. I thought they were some sort of odd cut as you never see a tri tip in my area. Seems like 6 of them sold for $32 and this was when an average ribeye was $3 or $4.

I will second the brisket remarks. When brisket is good it's about as good or better than any steak in my opinion.

5. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Lot's of cheap meat cuts...fish and bayou stuff becomes almost prohibitively expensive when renamed or some New York or New Orleans chef calls river mud...riparian mousse.