Iverson Duck Calls

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by Duck Felon, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Rope

Rope Elite Refuge Member

Wood-Dro,thanks for posting those pictures.Those are some fine calls you have.Thanks again.:tu

2. coldweatherfan

coldweatherfan Elite Refuge Member

41:mad:...and working on 42
    I'm starting to get Wood-dro envy! :cool:

3. Wood-Dro

Wood-Dro Elite Refuge Member

Fixed it for ya! :nutz

4. bobbyb

bobbyb Elite Refuge Member

I'm plum jealous myself :dv but i know somebody that's getting one..blackwood barrel with braz. rosewood stopper......YES !
    BobbyB
    cajun

5. coldweatherfan

coldweatherfan Elite Refuge Member

Looking back over the years....I hate to think of all the Iverson's I have given away as gifts.:doh
    I'll bet I have given at least 15.

6. Spec

Spec Gold Refuge Member

Emery is now makeing calls again on a special order per call and wants all to know he is doing just fine. He told me to tell you all that if you want a call made to contact him on his business number which is a cell phone and some times the signal drops because of where his shop is. The number is 415-328-6648 if no one answer's leave your return info and he will call you back!!!!

7. Duck Felon

Duck Felon Elite Refuge Member

He is only making the bent reed style calls, in standard and timber versions, not the world champion calls that use the arkansas style toneboard, the bent reed calls have a flat tone board, also no sprig whistles, or goose calls, no acrylic just wood. Hope this helps everyone.

8. lockingblock

lockingblock New Member

Old topic, but I wanted to bump it up for some folks that make great calls. I have been getting more into older style flat toneboard calls and I had not run my Iverson in a while. Wow...it still sound just as good as it did years ago. Really a great call.

Side question...what material is their reed made out of? How do they get it to curve? Mylar? It doesn't look like the reeds of other calls?

9. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Years back I guided a middle-aged fellow and his dad who'd practiced the once common Cajun custom of making their own calls, and the father teased his son about being the first to convert to a new-fangled curved toneboard. Dad and those before him made theirs with flat toneboards. He called their reed material was cannibalized it from combs made of what he called "cowchew," a pre-plastic material which looked black but unlike black plastic would show brown when scratched. (He recalled combs being kept by stores' cash registers - which I'm also old enough to remember - and one of them distracting the clerk while another scratched combs to find the right kind.) Once filed down, the reeds were curved by passing the back of a heated knife along them.

Given that flatter toneboards are more prone to sticking than more curved ones, I asked the father about that problem and was told that as a very small child at his grandfather's knee he was taught to always spit before picking up a call.

As an aside, the original Chien Caille speck call reeds were made of the same material. And it would tickle me if someone here can share a more common or correct name for it.

lockingblock likes this.
  10. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

The old Ace Comb cane calls are fun to mess around with.:yes:tu

lockingblock likes this.