Ivishak Caribou info needed...

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by mikei, Mar 8, 2012.

1. mikei

mikei Elite Refuge Member

Hello Alaska Forum!!

I'm hunting with a buddy from Anchorage this fall. Our plan was to to get a ride with in a boat up the Ivishak river between Deadhorse and Pump 2 (I think) to get dropped off, then float for caribou. Turns out the three weeks we set aside, he's totally booked. I'm not sure of his name, but I can't find any info on anyone else who offers similar self guided hunts.

We're looking into flying in, but I'm in the dark. My buddy from Anchorage has done the float before, but seems to think there is only one person who offers this type of boat service.

I'm hoping someone has anything for me to follow up on. I've googled it to death, but information is sparse.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. Ray

Ray Senior Refuge Member

I have only heard of one airboat service up there - Alaska Goldrush Adventures. I know that there are several folks that run their own airboats, but they would not be for hire.

Many other hunters use 70 North or Deltana Air to fly in and float back to the road. You have to plan better for the weight restrictions in the plane.

I recommend going to the Alaska Outdoors Directory forums and researching Alaska hunting information.

Here is one of the Ivashak threads.

3. tbduck

tbduck Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I personal never floated it, but have boated it in my boats a long ways up the river. I would look into an air service. It gets you into the mountains more and away from some of the crowds. It does cost more and the weight is more of an issue, but you will enjoy it.

Good luck. I love it up there.

4. mikei

mikei Elite Refuge Member

Thanks guys! Appreciate it. It's given me more to follow up on.

5. duckdon

duckdon Senior Refuge Member

I'll be up there August 11-27 but we are booked up with personal friends. I would suggest you call Arrowhead Outfitters, Howard Tieden, 907-315-0660. He runs an air charter but he did mention he was getting booked up when I talked with him about 2 weeks ago. Tell him Don at Anchorage Go Devil sent you. Good Luck. Don