Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

IWA - Let's Roll!

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by flashman, Feb 2, 2005.

1. mallard14

mallard14 Senior Refuge Member

One of the main concerns I have is the unbalance in locations of "original members". Very few eastern/northern idaho people are posting. I see this being one of the major flaws as of now. I realize that we are only dealing with fugers right now and we need to advertize to the general public. We need to have some structure for the meeting so that it is not just a gripe session. I too find it too hard to travel 3 hours plus to Boise for a 2 hour meeting on a Thursday. I am a college student majoring in biology and would like to have a part in an IWA, but it is just not feasible for too many of us eastern Idaho people to make it to Boise for 2 hrs. Just a little imput from the eastern part of the state.

2. Peregrine

Peregrine Elite Refuge Member

mallard14,

I agree. Somewhere buried in this or the "2005-06 season" thread are a few posts about potential methods to get people in the eastern and northern areas to be able to participate without having to drive.

If there are enough people in other parts of the state that want to participate, we may be able to come up with some way to hook you in via internet or telephone. We have almost a week to come up with a way to do it.

Is anyone interested in attempting that?

Paul

3. mallard14

mallard14 Senior Refuge Member

That would work anyday except thursday for me. I have a lab from 6 to 9pm. But maybe others would be able to do this. I don't think that there are too many eastern/northern idaho people on this forum(need some sort of outside advertisement).

4. jaeger19

jaeger19 Elite Refuge Member

I AM from the East and let me tell you that only a very small area (URBAN area :dv ) talks that way. The rest of us are Republican! :yes (Imagine being one of two people in your dorm of 3,000 students that was from a rural, republican area and the rest of the students were urban liberals :( )

I have a degree in PsychoBiology with emphasis on Animal Behavior. I have talked a number of times with the F and G biologists and they give good recommendations. the problem arises that the Commisioners do not always follow their recommendations. Also, they sometimes have to work within the politics of the state to do whats best for the wildlife. An example is the elk zone system that we went to. Now, Anybody can see that the current system stinks. the problem was that certain areas had too much access via roads and trails and an abnormal amount of pressure was put on the elk in these areas. I suggested "well just close some roads or make atv use in these areas prohibited" the problem was that the f and G did not have the authority to get the Feds to close the roads and they could not get the commisioners to agree to limit atv use. Soooo, we got stuck with a cruddy system.
    This is where I think the the IWA can shine. We can act as a political force to place pressure on the State legislature, the governor and his appointees (the commision) to let them know how we feel. Of course, I beleive our decisions should be based on biology and not on what we "feel" such as "do i like spinners or hevi shot". and they should not act to exclude the general hunting public that may not have the resources to hunt waterfowl the way we do. My personal experience with the f and G has been positive. But... they know who decides their salaries and it aint us buckaroos. Just ask the last three Directors :rolleyes: I think the IWA can act as a help to the F and G to make the case to the Commisioners and beyond.
    I certainly like the idea of habitat and education but quite frankly there are other organizations that are doing this and the one thing that Idaho lacks is a political voice for waterfowl hunters.

5. moe mallard man

moe mallard man Senior Refuge Member

I know that I am new to the forum but I would like to come if thats all right. I am in the middle moving but I think I can skip out for a couple of hrs. Just to make sure it's at the Ram Thursday at 7:00P.M.

6. seal

seal Elite Refuge Member

Its back from the dead :grvn I have quoted this to show just how far ahead of the horse that the cart has became. AFter reading the last page of posts.......it is my conclusion that we will be LUCKY to accomplish the above and a mission statement at the meeting. Thats if it is focused on the task at hand and not beer or duck hunting stories. I see organizational tasks taking up atleast 2 meetings. Basically...to do this right I dont see anything to do with ducks coming up until about meeting #3. There are many questions about what exactly the mission will be for IWA. The mission statement and bylaws should explain 99% of the questions I have seen.

7. flashman

flashman Elite Refuge Member

As a person who has conducted a number of meetings in my life (and duck hunters are nothing to doctors when it comes to being disorganized - it's like trying to push a rope):

1. Appoint a chairman and secretary.
    2. Make an agenda.
    3. Have your business meeting.
    4. Then, and only then, booze and hunting stories. :tu

It will make everything simpler.

8. seal

seal Elite Refuge Member

I havent heard that one before :l

9. Peregrine

Peregrine Elite Refuge Member

jaeger19- There are other organizations doing habitat and education work, but IMO there is room for a whole lot more of both. Again, I recommend those as distant future goals, not initial startup. If IWA gets a lot of members, the manpower would be there. Everyone has different strengths, and people would tend to volunteer for projects that fit them best. I agree that getting seasons based on good science should be the primary focus.

moe - I look forward to meeting you there.

---
    I am in full agreement with what seal and flashman posted - some organization needs to be in place prior to Thursday.

Since Jeff started this discussion and has some definite plans for what to discuss, I'd say he should be the chairman.

I am willing to be secretary as flashman posted earlier, but think it may be good to have 2 secretaries. If things get going fast, it may be tough for one person to capture all important points. Having 2 points of view may also be beneficial.

One other thing - if I am selected as a secretary, would it be possible to borrow someone's laptop computer during the meeting? If I have to handwrite the notes, we might as well just dip a chicken's feet in ink and let it run around on the paper :z :nutz

10. HuMMer

HuMMer Senior Refuge Member

Sorry fellas. I don't think I am gonna make this "meeting". If it does in fact turn out to be a profitable and positive meeting, let us know how it went.

Seth-