Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

IWA - Let's Roll!

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by flashman, Feb 2, 2005.

1. TMDECOYTGUN

TMDECOYTGUN Senior Refuge Member

I am positive that Jeff will have a meeting agenda and has the ability to follow it.

Peregrine doubt that Cold Foot would be able to particpate with the IWA, ( Conflict of interest maybe?) but once it gets off the ground with some substance I am positive that he can help promote it. ( Idaho OUtdoors?) I would not want to see a big promo on this type of undertaking and then have it fall short. Not good for Roger or any of those involved.

Also, I am not sure that this get together is all goign to be IWA, more or less a meeting to see where we stand and gatehr more information about the concerns we have. If IWA does form and move forward all the better for those invovled. There may be a follow up meeting that comes from this, time will tell....

Seal Not sure that the focus of the meeting is about forming the IWA this time, but can be discussed though... Gathering some thoughts and data points is imperitive....

jaeger19 Bout' one of the best statements within the thread...

"I certainly like the idea of habitat and education but quite frankly there are other organizations that are doing this and the one thing that Idaho lacks is a political voice for waterfowl hunters."

That is an understatement... Good call.

2. seal

seal Elite Refuge Member

I was under the impression that that was the point of the meeting. You will have to excuse my mistake. I believe I will not be attending the meeting. I have voiced my concerns and gripes about seasons, limits, etc. etc. time and again on this forum. I think everyone knows where I stand so I see no reason for me to be in on another gripe session. It would be redundant. If you guys decide to move forward with the IWA and actually organize.....give me a call and I will help out all I can. :tu

3. TMDECOYTGUN

Lets not think of it as a big bitch session, more of a group of enthusiastic waterfowlers looking to make logical descisions about the up coming season, with thoughts from this past season fresh in our mind. If we wait to gaterh some information in July or August that will jsut be way to late and much will be forgotten. I for one am not sure that all the issues would revolve around just IWA so that is why I mentioned it to you. Thought that it needed to be mentioned. I maybe wrong..... Who knows... But don't think you should stay home. That was not the intent of why I posted that. I will buy your first Graoe Nehi. Just dont' want someone to think that the board of directors and any final judgements are goign to be made... It will all take a small amount of time and planning to get it going into full swing...

I hope to see you there though...

TGUN

4. TMDECOYTGUN

Here is a Bullet statement for IWA, add or rip up as you see fit...

The Idaho Waterfowl Association, Inc. is a volunteer, tax deductible, nonprofit 501(c)(3), state wide conservation
    organization founded in XXX by a group of concerned and dedicated conservationist / outdoor enthusiasts.

Idaho Waterfowlers Assoc. Mission Statement

To preserve, advise, recommend,and protect activities related to Waterfowl hunting within the State of Idaho. Working in conjunction with the Idaho Fish and Game and their commissioners to strive to improve and maximize the effectiveness of the recommended US F&G Rules and Regulations. IWA will assist in educational programs, youth hunts, conservation, Sportsmanship and hunter Safety. We will also promote the wise use of our natural resources in the best interest of the waterfowl.

• Raising public Awareness and Appreciation of Wetlands

• Working Hand-in-Hand with Government, Business, Conservations, Private and Public Landowners, Other Non-profit Organizations and the general Public.

• Attracting and Retaining and Ever-Growing Membership Base

• Acquiring and Managing Wetland and Upland Habitats

• Maintaining Educational Programs: Jr. Waterfowl Seminar & Hunting Days, Hunt Smart Program, Woodduck boxes & Henhouses

The Idaho Waterfowlers Organization is not the first of its kind, but hope to have
    it benefit, first and foremost the waterfowl and then, the water fowlers of this fine state. In the future, if funds are raised, those donations of this organization would be to keep 100% within the state. Not to compete against other national organizations, but to enhance what has already been created. There has been a great reduction in the amount of habitat available to waterfowl today within the state of Idaho, especially during drought conditions as well as the habitat loss within the treasure valley, now more than ever they need our helps is needed to provide the waterfowl the basic elements of life. The IWA will help both the ducks and the hunter by helping to inform our rule makers with what is important.

5. IFSteve

IFSteve Elite Refuge Member

Well guess its time to chime in. I think the idea of an IWA is great but like most organizations must be done carefully or it will be very difficult to not only get going but even harder for it to make a difference.

My suggestion would be to start with a single purpose and see what happens and let it grow if we're successful. I believe that THE place to start is for a voice to the IDFG and commisioners to insist that our waterfowl seasons are set by two factors only.

1. The season recommended by the fed and state waterfowl professionals.
    2. The input to the IDFG from the waterfowl survey.

After all I think this is what stirred the pot last fall and got us all riled up. The commisioners didn't listen to the biologists or us.

Habitat improvement, youth hunts, all great stuff guys but if we start with a big list of things to pursue we will have a much tougher go at it.

Just my thoughts,

Steve

6. gary s.

gary s. Elite Refuge Member

well said steve :tu

7. Cutt'emJack

Cutt'emJack Elite Refuge Member

:clap Great post Steve, I agree.

Matt

8. BBBGoose

BBBGoose Senior Refuge Member

Here here , what Steve said! :tu

9. jaeger19

jaeger19 Elite Refuge Member

I don't want to drive all the way from Parma for a Gripe session.
    I want to start setting up the IWA.
    My suggestion for an agenda:

1. introductions

Devise a Mission statement for the IWA. If we can't agree on that then we might as well bag it. My suggestion for a mission statement is to keep it simple. Like "the mission of IWA is to Promote waterfowl manangement based on sound biological principles and concern for community safety while maximizing Idahoans hunting opportunities."

Come up with a list of Goals and the associated costs. Lets figure out what we have to do to get off the ground and how much we really have to have before charging membership.

Suggested Goals: Figure out the Organizational chart. President, board etc.
    What do we want?

2. Figure out the tax exempt stuff and costs (or at least assign it to someone)

3. Do we really need or want to incorporated?

4. website etc. Costs, look, selling advertising

By the end of the meeting my hope is that we have an agreed upon mission statement, have an organizational chart (with nominations??) and have a list of goals that have been assigned to various people in prep for the next meeting.
    One suggestion is that if the southeast and panhandle regions want to have their own meeting and submit their ideas that would be great. Then we could set up a poll here and vote and or discuss.

I would NOT suggest we tackle the season issue right now. We don't even have the breeding success figures from canada. IF there is a poor breeding season or a sensational one, that will effect the recommendations of the biologists. Better have that in hand before hitting the Commission.

10. amatman

amatman Refuge Member

Well put Steve...lets keep it simple.