googletag.cmd.push(function() {googletag.defineSlot('/22715214/refuge_ros_atf_728x90', [728, 90], 'div-gpt-ad-1434482053797-0').addService(googletag.pubads()); googletag.pubads().enableSingleRequest(); googletag.enableServices(); });

North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Sponsors

J M Futch

Discussion in 'North / South Carolina Flyway Forum' started by cbrtrvr, Nov 12, 2017.

1. CutnGut

CutnGut Refuge Member

2. CutnGut

CutnGut Refuge Member

3. KAHunter

KAHunter Senior Refuge Member

No shots fired in all of futch or just you all?

4. duk-cmdr

duk-cmdr Senior Refuge Member

have not been back to Futch since the perm. blinds have been installed. was watching youtube last night and found some fellas who made some videos of Futch and posted them. I had to chuckle at the sight of one of the blinds. You could hide a blind on the 50 yd line of B of A Stadium better than this was hidden. I'm sure birds don't get weary of it at all.

Glad to hear things may have improved since then. (blindwise).

5. KAHunter

KAHunter Senior Refuge Member

They should do blind stakes. You have your blind number, which is just a stake and you have to be within 100 feet of that stake. You can build whatever you want or bring in materials as necessary so you can have a blind but everything must be removed at end of hunt. That way you have you designated area and no one sets up on top of other but you dont have to hunt out of those big ugly blinds. They are nice and easier I guess but they stick out like a sore thumb. Sure do wish we could regulate ourselves so the state doesnt have to hold our hand and put blinds in for us.

6. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

KA, I’d talked with the now retired waterfowl DM about those blinds ever since they were proposed years ago. I had the same “concerns” about them as others and really lobbied against them. He didn’t totally dismiss my opinions .. matter of fact agreed with most BUT they were receiving more support from “hunters” that wanted them, thus the squeaky wheel got greased. Yes, they are comfortable and make for a nice, convenient experience however, if you’re there also to shoot ducks you’ll be very disappointed for the most part ...the ducks aren’t that dumb.

Sometimes things are just better left alone ...

dog duck gun likes this.
  7. Bluedog

Bluedog Elite Refuge Member

Would love to have a long sit down with the NCWRC decision makers in the waterfowl division. Sadly we have way too many duck hunters than the resource can handle. A catch 22 I guess in that we need hunter recruitment but we just don’t have the waterfowl population to give a good quality hunt. I admire the initiative of them trying to make it a better experience however everybody knew this would turn out to be a bust.

8. burgawboy

burgawboy Elite Refuge Member

We still shoot ducks out of the blinds......its just not the species that we killed before the blinds were put in.:(

9. Clark

Clark Elite Refuge Member

Ruddys are not too blind-shy and the coots don't seem to mind.
    40 years ago when some of those ponds were built the WRC had pretty effective pit blinds. If they are going to build blinds it should be those, not adding the high-visibility blinds in other impoundment locations that will kill the hunting there as well.

10. SeaDux1

SeaDux1 Elite Refuge Member

your experience is the very reason I quit the draw system