Jack Hinson's One Man War - A Civil War Sniper

Discussion in 'Book Forum' started by smashdn, Jul 14, 2016.

1. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Hinsons-One-Man-Civil-Sniper/dp/1589806409

I am about three chapters deep in this book.

Thus far it has laid out how John "Jack" Hinson had come to live in Stewart County Tennessee after being born in North Carolina.

Jack Hinson had quite a large farm (not to the scale of a plantation) in Stewart County TN in what was then called Between the Rivers and now is known as Land Between the Lakes. The area is an "inland peninsula" made by a 60 mile long pinching of the Tennessee and Cumberland rivers that effectively cut off the area's inhabitants from the outside.

While the area sympathized with The Confederacy and The Southern Cause, Jack Hinson favored not to secede and wanted to continue remain as part of the Union and maintain the status quo. This was a sentiment that the author says was common amongst those living in the BTR region. The folks living there just wanted to continue to farm and hunt and fish and prosper as they had for a few generations now.

As Union forces took Paducah and Smithland at the mouth of the rivers it was only a matter of time before Union steamboats and forces would be coming into the area on their way to Forts Henry and Donelson.

I haven't made it this far in the book as of yet but at some point two of Jack Hinson's sons are picked up in the area by Union troops and killed as spies and then beheaded and their heads piked on the posts of the gate leading to Hinson's farm. It was at this point that his efforts at neutrality were exhausted and he had a special heavy barrel rifle made to exact his revenge on the Union forces. The rifle, as told in the book, is in the collection of a gentleman living in Murfreesboro.

So proficient with that rifle was Hinson that he was able to force a surrender of a Union gunboat traveling on the Tenn river.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Hinson

I got bogged down reading NBF's biography late last year. I stopped about 3/4 of the way through it and had to take a break. I am hopeful that this book maintains momentum through to the end.

2. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Finished it off yesterday afternoon. Overall a good read. There are times when the author gets a little deep in the weeds on details that are not germane to Hinson's life.

While quite historical in nature it reads more like a novel. The author at times fills in details and specifically fills in emotions for Captain Jack that he obviously has no way of knowing but as such it helps flesh out the story aspect of the book and makes it more readable that a true historical recount would be.

3. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

Half a mile with a black powder! I'll have to read that.

4. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

Started this one recently and pretty sure I've given it up. Not gonna be able to get through it.

The lost cause-ism is quite strong and evidently present for no reason other than apparent allegiance to such views. Add it to the blatant assumptions pretty well passed off as fact and the package is just too much for me.

5. skiduck

skiduck Elite Refuge Member

Odessa,TX....but usually on a wellsite dropping fi
    Read it about 10 years ago. Good book about a very rough time in our country. I would love to hold that rifle.