Jackplate question

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by duckhunter80, Nov 1, 2017.

1. duckhunter80

duckhunter80 New Member

I currently have a 25 horse mercury on the back of a 1648 War Eagle. It is a manual tilt/trim, so would a jackplate be much help running a rocky river? Would my inability to trim out make the jackplate useless?

2. perfmarine

perfmarine Elite Refuge Member

It would help you run shallower however you would need to hook up a water pressure and/or a temperature gauge so you can monitor your motor. You could watch the tel-tail hose but sometimes that is not enough. There is no temp buzzer on a tiller 25 that I know of. You may be better off going to a jet motor if you want to run shallow.

3. Fowl-Action

Fowl-Action Senior Refuge Member

I have a jack on mine, the jack is nice in that it will allow you to move the engine up while keeping it horizontal. When you trim it up the upward force from the prop pushes the back end of the boat down in the water negating a lot of what you gained from trimming. Your hole shot won't be quite as good as a motor with a jack and T/T but I would say the jack would definitely help you run shallower if you don't want to go to a jet

4. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

Yes, it will help, so will getting a prop that allows you to run surface piercing, I believe there are plenty for 25's as I think they are a racing motor class.
    Also, Bobs has a power tilt/trim and jack all in one unit that will cure all your ills should you want all your problems solved. Expensive, however, you can use the thing forever, just move it to your new boats as you get rid of your old boats.

freefall likes this.
  5. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

Ditto on the water pressure gauge and the Bobs plate. You wont be sorry.