Jap Millet question

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by thatguy2, Jun 13, 2018.

1. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

this epic drought has lowered the level of my pond that was only 18” from being full. It has left a nice ring of wet black dirt around the edge. I have 100# of jap Millet and 100# of Browntop Millet coming. I was thinking about sowing Millet around the pond edge and in a 30 yd radius around the pond. With some rain in the forecast next week at I wasting jap Millet seed doing it this time of year? I tried buckwheat to buy time but drought got a lot of it except close to the water on the south side.

Side note will birds walk out of the water to eat Millet?

2. KAHunter

KAHunter Senior Refuge Member

If you get some rain but the water level doesnt come up too much you will be fine. I would go with the Jap millet over browntop as it can take the water. Once the Jap millet is up and growing it will live in some water as long as the leaves are above the water line.

3. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

Is it to early for the jap millet or will it reseed itself? Not worried about pond level changes. Since July we have had only 2 runoff events, and the ground cracks are so large we need a lot of rain for more runoff.

Browntop is for some upland areas that buckwheat and a sorghum/millet mix I got from the state didn’t take. Hoping the quail like it.

4. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

We plant most of our millet in the middle of July or so in central Illinois.

5. Sallysue

Sallysue New Member

I live in Texas when would be the best time for millet and smartweed
    ?