Jap millet question

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Reverend Colt, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Reverend Colt

Reverend Colt Elite Refuge Member

Jap millet is a common suggestion on any "what to plant" question. How long will it produce through the season?

2. btravis

btravis Elite Refuge Member

I don't know exactly what you mean by how long it will produce. Once it turns brown it is done producing. Unless you plant it real early and some of the seed falls off and germinates again. Which by then it will be too late for full maturity.It has a harder shell than other millets so it's supposed to last up to 90 days flooded before rotting. Hope this helps. Maybe some of the experts will have more info. Mallard Magician and knees are pretty knowledgable.:tu

3. Reverend Colt

Thanks btravis- That is what I was asking, will last all season on the head or does it fall off by mid December? In other words, if I planted plenty of it and the ducks did not eat it all, would it make duckfood all season?

4. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

Depends on wind, blackbirds, how deep of water the millet is in. A lot of variables involved, but the more the merrier:tu

5. btravis

Some of it will fall off. After awhile if a good wind comes thru or something;) most of it will probably blow over or break off. If the ducks find it and stay in it you won't have to worry about any of it being left. They will mop it up as long as you don't pound them out of it. How many acres are you going to plant? It wouldn't hurt to put some buckwheat with it also.

6. Reverend Colt

I really dont' know yet. I'm workingas hard and fast as Ican t oclear around these ponds i nthe woods and get it ready t oplant first of July. maybe an acre and a half of planting.

7. Bluedog

Bluedog Elite Refuge Member

Had good success last year in a beaver swamp that the drought dried up. Problem with it is that EVERYTHING eats it. Ducks were thick early and the millet was pretty well gone by the end of November. Definitely worth it, but it is not going to be the attractant during the late season her in NC.

8. btravis

They will wipe out an acre and a half pretty quick if there are several birds I would think. You got to work with what you got though. Let it get up a little then put some nitrogen on it before a rain and watch it grow.

9. Quaxalot

Quaxalot Elite Refuge Member

If it's flooded, it will still attract some ducks even after the seed is eaten/rotten. Flooded grasses harbor lots of invertebrates that ducks eat.

10. Powerstrokn247

Powerstrokn247 Elite Refuge Member

+1

Between the drought, the deer and the beavers dragging logs the only millet i had mature out was on the steep banks of the dam. But hey, what can you do.

I planted second week of july last year and i feel like it matured out to early. I know it sounds late but i will be plating August 1st this year. I will be drawing down the lakes sometime in the next 2 weeks to let the watershield dry and die.

The millet stayed on the stalks for about a month but by dec. most of the millet was gone so its not good for late season. Thats when submersed vasculars come into play

Good luck