Jap millet question

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Reverend Colt, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Okvet

Okvet Elite Refuge Member

Remember that pond that I sprayed with 2-4D to kill the primrose. That pond has quite a bit of skunkgrass. I would see lots of gaddies feed on it but never any mallards. Just my obserbations. Everything just about feeds on millet.

2. Powerstrokn247

Powerstrokn247 Elite Refuge Member

Most of what I get are Woodies, mergansers, Mallards and Geese. So from what you and a couple others say I should go the millet route again.

I have some pond weed in there that has not fully established yet, id like for it to take over the whole thing:yes

thanks

3. Okvet

I know I can't teach you a thing about helping get your pond weed more established but I know for a fact that the ducks loved the millet I planted last year. Lots of mallards, teal, and pintails. The geese really never fed on it much but I planted a 2 acre plot of wheat that the water goes right up to when full. I didn't get any woodies on this pond but another pond that my family owns has lots of oaks that grow at the shoreline and drop tons of acorns in the pond--that really brings the woodies in.

4. buck_jackson75

buck_jackson75 Senior Refuge Member

If you can irrigate the spot, you should wait. But if you cannot irrigate you need to plant and hope for a july rain. Also if you can drain the area do so very slowly in March. You will have smartweed and barnyard grass mixed with some other junk. Once you have learned how to identify the hot foods. You should be checking the areas in may-june, then you can chemically burn the unwanted species out of the area while at the same time you will be preparing a perfect spot to plant some millet.

5. Soonerdrake

Soonerdrake Elite Refuge Member

Okay,

I am a little confused now. I was all geared up to start putting millet down toward the end of July. This would be in areas where I cannot control the water level and have to rely on mother nature.

Are you saying I should be putting it down now? Isn't it a little early?

thanks

6. buck_jackson75

buck_jackson75 Senior Refuge Member

Millet is a very shallow rooter, so if you plant it now and get it up good you have a much better chance in it making opposed to planting in end of july to august and burning up from lack of water. We are currently working on a variety that will with stand a drought condition and still make 2000lb per acre and is a longer mature date.

7. cs

cs Elite Refuge Member

good luck finding mud right now:nutz

8. Powerstrokn247

Powerstrokn247 Elite Refuge Member

Im in the same boat as you. Seems so early to plant when it matures out in 6 weeks, well heck thats no where near early goose. Seems all the seed will be knocked off by deer and beavers by the time October rolls around.

But I do agree with the drought, planting mid July last year in the middle of a drought was not in my favor. So im not sure what to do anymore....

9. bald eagle

bald eagle Senior Refuge Member

Installing three log drains and planting jap millet this weekend. I have planted the last two years with great success. January hunts are usually froze out, so I head to the river for some in your face shooting.

10. Okvet

Drake--with all this rain and chances of more I don't see where you'll have anywhere to plant. I would bet where you want to plant is totally flooded. You will probably have to wait until July just for the water to come down. That is why this year I planted jap millet along with several slow maturing millets and sorghums.

Face it--every year is different and what worked last year might now work this year or the next. If we (Okies) have a really hot dry July, August, Septemer then the millet planted in July will die---this is what happened to me on my first millet planting. I didn't get one plant survive. They germinated fine but then we went around 5 weeks with no rain and temps in the upper 90's and 100's and and every plant died! So last year I planted earlier but after all the rain we had I didn't really need to--but didn't know it at the time of planting. Sure I lost some seed to black birds and other seed eating critters but there was still PLENTY of millet around when duck season rolled around. Opening day of 2nd season I honestly had well over 500 ducks (maybe 1000) landing on my small 4 acre pond. These dang birds were landing on top of each other--it was incredible. This year I changed things up a bit and planted several varieties of seed grains and I'll see how it does. But never again will I wait until July to plant jap millet--b/c here in Okie land there is a chance none of it will survive.