JD 7000 coulter selection

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by GooseNukem, Dec 11, 2017.

1. GooseNukem

GooseNukem New Member

Just bought a 7000 planter. Right now it is equipped with a very aggressive looking fluted coulter. Now I'm planting in less than ideal soil conditions with the ground being pretty wet. It is a marsh after all. Anyway I was wondering what type of coulter those of you with experience would recommend. I'm pretty new to farming and when I ask any local farmers for advice I get the cold shoulder. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Shell Shocked

Shell Shocked Senior Refuge Member

I am the farthest thing from a farmer and have 1 year experience with a JD planter 7100. Similar to the 7000. In moist soil, I doubt you will need to Coulter. I am guessing its for no til. I am sure it will work great in dry ground but not needed so much in moist. But again I have basically ZERO experience. :)

The biggest thing I have learned in my one year is breaking the soil. After a lot of trial and error and money out the window, I bought a 5 foot 3 pt tiller and absolutely love it. For the record, do not waste good $$ planting corn in wet soil.