Jeep Engine I.D.?

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by TheMallardKiller, Jul 8, 2013.

1. TheMallardKiller

TheMallardKiller Senior Refuge Member

Hey any of you guys know what engine this is? I'm not very motor savvy but

I thought this was the 2.5L 151? It's currently in a 1980 CJ7 Renegade, but a

guy I work with is telling me it's a Chevy motor that was put in after.

Thanks,
    TMK

Attached Files:

2. CAPTNDAVIE

CAPTNDAVIE Senior Refuge Member

I am no expert on that engine. But the 151 Iron Duke was an engine that was available from the factory in 1980. The 151 is a gm design engine. That's what it looks like to me. But it still could have been swapped in. Does he give you any reason as to why he thinks it was swapped in (ex modified frame horns/engine mounts etc)? If he thinks its a swap just because its a gm engine then maybe he doesn't know that it was a factory option.

3. Windrider

Windrider Elite Refuge Member

A GM design does not preclude an original engine. AMC sourced parts from other manufacturers when needed. GM was a favorite.

The Cherokee was designed around a GM V6 at around te same time the CJ7s and 8s were built.

4. BaRtMaN

BaRtMaN Moderator Sponsor Moderator

They will take a Chevy small block or big block pretty easily. I have done them both ways. I built the engines for my buddy a 327 and he didn't think it was enough power so he picked up a 454 and I built that for him and it would burn all 4 very large tires.......LOL!

AMC = All Makes Combined

5. CAPTNDAVIE

CAPTNDAVIE Senior Refuge Member

I don't know if GM actually produced the 2.5 151s that Jeep used or if they designed them and allowed Jeep to produce them.

But I can tell you that the 2.5 151 was a factory available engine in 1980! I think it was available up to 1983.