Jerky question

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by pintailwizard, Sep 17, 2014.

1. pintailwizard

pintailwizard Elite Refuge Member

Have always sliced goose breasts into jerky. Wife just ordered a grinder and jerky shooter to try.

Can I get some tips on how I need to do it differently?

More or less spice and how does drying time change, etc?

2. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

Depending on the grinder, use the bigger head, it will let shot pass, the smaller one will snap the stud on my grinder. I grind, mix, and marinate over night. The biggest time consumer is packing the meat into the jerky tube. I make a lot and after years of stuffing tubes I bought a jerky head for my grinder, best thing I ever did. Let me know what jerky gun you bought I have some new unused tubes ou can have.

Use your favorite spices, I cut mine with lean ground beef, and grind all ducks and geese together. Will be making the first batch of the season in a week or so.

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Generally, I am in favor of grinding to make jerky, but not with waterfowl. I don't care for the texture. Kind of hard to explain, but when you grind it up, it doesn't hold together like 4-footed creatures. Yes, you an add other meats, and that helps.

Off the top of my head, think making bread pudding with just flour, not cooked bread. Or maybe, pancakes instead of bread.

Jerky for waterfowl, I cut. 4-footers, I grind.

4. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Total opposite here, much prefer just sliced as the texture of the ground stuff is just all wrong.

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Umm, I think we agree. At least, on ducks.

I only do the ground on 4-leggers because of consistency. All the 'slices' cure / dry at the same rate.

However, to your point, you are right. Sliced, in all game, is better. Just not as easy.

6. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I've honestly only done duck jerky once or twice, vast majority I've done has been beef or deer. Y'all smoke or just dehydrate?

7. Native NV Ducker

I dehydrate. Too lazy to smoke, and not a very discriminating palate when it comes to blind food.

8. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Haha, I hear ya. My problem with jerky is it never makes it to the blind! It's kinda like bacon--as long as it's there I'll eat it, and hunger has nothing to do with it.