Jesus said....

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by ducknwork, Mar 3, 2015.

1. ducknwork

ducknwork Elite Refuge Member

...to give up everything and follow him.

YET, we have boats and big houses and new cars and expensive hobbies and bla bla bla....you get the idea.

And there are people in this world who don't have anything. We could say we clearly have more than we need. There are people right in our own hometowns that don't have food. We throw leftovers away or spend excessive amounts of money eating out. There are children who have no warm home to sleep in. We won't put on a jacket, but rather turn up the thermostat a few more degrees.

How can we justify all this and claim to follow Jesus?

2. Buffalo Howler

Buffalo Howler Senior Refuge Member

If everyone gave up everything what would happen? When one is delivered from his possessions he realizes he is the cheerful giver Paul tells us to be. God is the source of all and he provides for all that put their hope in him. As believers our true treasure is waiting in heaven for us not in the things we see here.

3. H2OFOWL

H2OFOWL Elite Refuge Member

You bring up a good point...this is why we need to start taxing churches. The amount of actual charitable giving vs building a multi million dollar mega church.

4. ducknwork

I really don't understand your answer and how it pertains to my question.

Off topic, and an attempt to troll the thread. I'm talking about each individual person, not any organizations.

Seriously, NOBODY else has any thoughts on this?

5. Buffalo Howler

Buffalo Howler Senior Refuge Member

When ones heart is right with God you worship the creator not the created.

6. icebreaker12

icebreaker12 Elite Refuge Member

Its an interesting topic. When I was an undergrad we had a discipleship chain that discussed this topic. Lots of varying view points and interpretations. I know some people that have become missionaries because of this topic.

When I read it, I see it as a command to not worship our possessions. As afterward Jesus discusses the difficulty of getting into heaven being rich (John 18:22-25, Matthew 19:21-24, Mark 10:21-25). As often those who are worship their money not God. Then again maybe that is me justifying wanting a few dozen more decoys.

7. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I don't think the meaning is so much about our material possessions, rather it's about us being willing to give up or forsake our family/friends/etc--even life itself-if necessary to follow Him. Material things can certainly get in the way of that, but remember it's the love of money, not money itself that gets us in trouble. We must be willing to give up EVERYTHING if that's what it takes to follow Christ--money, possessions, friends, family...

8. tomr

tomr Elite Refuge Member

Good point. It's when we make the material and worldly things our "God" that we get into huge trouble.

9. ducknwork

People in the Bible LITERALLY gave up everything they had (material possessions, friends, family, money) in order to follow Jesus. Not metaphorically. The disciples left their actual boat and fishing stuff on the bank and walked with Him.
    We are supposed to put others first and care for the needy. But instead of picking up some dinner for the family of the poor kid in our kids class, we buy an extra dozen decoys or another tank of gas for the boat. On the way to our expensive dinner, we don't give the poor guy on the corner 5 bucks because 'he's probably a drunk'. Instead of volunteering at the soup kitchen weekly, we pick up another expensive hobby. When we go out to eat after church on Sunday, do we ever invite the young family who may be struggling to come with us and buy their breakfast?
    So, while we are out enjoying ourselves and our money, the people that Jesus explicitly commanded us to care for are hungry, cold, naked, without love, thirsty, etc.

Is this right? Is this how Jesus taught us to be? Are we to believe that a good act here and there plus 10% on Sunday is enough?

For the record, as I'm typing this on my iphone, I'm drinking coffee from an $10 coffee cup when I'm sure a $2 cup would keep my coffee contained just the same. And when I get off work today, I'm going to pick up my iphone 6 (with more memory than my current phone) that I ordered just so I don't have to delete pictures from my current phone.
    Yet, there are kids in my town that won't have dinner tonight.

10. ducknwork

Regardless of whether or not we "worship" our money and material things, are they keeping us from caring for 'the least of my people'?
    Maybe instead of spending money duck hunting next year, I should buy blankets and spend my Saturday mornings passing them out to people who are cold and have nothing and nowhere to be. How do I justify NOT doing something like that if I want to be a true Christian? Which activity would be better for my kids to take part in? Sitting in the blind eating fresh breakfast and maybe killing a duck, or actually spending time caring for actual needy people rather than just hearing that we should care for hypothetical needy people and pretending that putting a few bucks in the collection basket at church is enough to fulfill my obligation?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015