Jesus said....

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by ducknwork, Mar 3, 2015.

1. ducknwork

ducknwork Elite Refuge Member

Fair enough. But to your last sentence specifically, why ARE WE NOT giving up everything, or at least some of our comforts, when there are clearly people in need around us-the same people Jesus said to feed, clothe, give drink, etc? (Doing so would truly be "following Him")

Just how willing are we? The need is all around us. What are we waiting for?

2. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I'm not saying at all that you don't have valid points, only that I don think that's what was really being referenced in that passage. We could all certainly do much better at taking care of the poor and needy, there's no doubt about that. But like all passages in the bible you've got to look beyond just the simple text and look at the bigger picture; in that passage he was speaking to the rich young ruler, someone who most likely had his focus not on God but on money.

Think of it this way too though--if you just give up everything then you'd have nothing more to give. I just don't believe God has a problem with one doing well for theirselves, just look at Solomon for example--he did ok. God also say that we are to take care of our own or we've denied our faith and are worse than an unbeliever. I think it's more about where your heart is than anything else.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  3. ducknwork

I'm not by any means suggesting that we should give up so much that we can't take care of ourselves and our families. But we all do far, far more than just "take care of out own" and I wonder if we shouldn't be giving up some of out comforts to take care of "the least of my people".

If that's not what He meant, why not and where is the evidence?

As far as 'where your heart is", I've always heard that the road to hell is paved with good intentions...makes sense to me.

We are supposed to be in the world, but not of the world. What are we doing daily to accomplish that?

4. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Again I'm not disagreeing at all that we can't do better, quite the contrary. We are certainly supposed to look different than the "world", but that takes on many aspects: we should have better attitudes, our marriages should last, we should be more giving, more humble yet more bold, we should obey laws, not cheat on our spouses(or our taxes), and the list goes on....

The road to hell is paved by good intentions when one doesn't believe in Christ, that's the key part. You can mean well yet not be a believer, that's where the problem lies.

Sounds like your being convicted about this; are you going to do something about it? (Serious question)

5. ducknwork

I'm thinking about it. I really wanted to have an honest discussion with like minded people and make others think about it also. Maybe it will also be productive. I don't know how we all couldn't think about the subject and not be motivated to do something different or extra. Personally, I feel as though there are changes that need to be made that really challenge my comfort zone. I can't just write off all these teachings as metaphorical as most everyone who has responded has. I feel like that would be taking the easy way out and I'm not see I can do that in good conscience. Without action, faith and love are dead.

I'd love to take my oldest daughter, go buy a blanket and some food, take the propane grill I keep in my boat, and cook some breakfast for some homeless guys under the bridge. Will I do it? I don't know. If I do, it will be after I get my ccw permit in a couple months though.

Then again, if all I have is good intentions and think about it but never actually do anything, am I really following Christ? Are any of us? Or am I the guy in the Bible that looked back and wanted to say goodbye to his family rather than be ready to follow Him?

6. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Do it! That would be a fantastic experience for your daughter as well. I totally get where your coming from and it's certainly something I think about myself. Things I've considered doing are going down to the park in the "bad" part of our small town and firing up the pit and just cooking burgers or smoking some butts for people. I know for a fact that many of those kids don't get a good meal like that all that often. I have done such with the church and the college ministry my wife worked at but never on my own. Another thing that still churns in the back of my mind is building some sort of inexpensive shelter for homeless folks; I like to build stuff and this would fit with my gifting well. Not sure where I even got this idea as we have very few true homeless people around here. First time I saw a rocket stove I thought the same thing--that'd be great to build and give away. Picking up old bikes to refurb and give to poor kids is another---------like I said, I think about it as well. This is something we've been talking about in our small group lately, we want to find a way to tangibly serve others and include our kids in that as well. We've done various small things but we're trying to come up with something that can be "our thing" so to speak.

You're 100% right that we should all think about it and should actually act and not just think. The point I was making earlier is that many interpret that passage as we should all be poor and that it's bad to do well for yourself--I totally disagree with that, I think we are called to do whatever it is we do well and to the best of our abilities. When we do many times we are successful(obviously to varying degrees) and I don't think that's bad at all as long as we remember who gave us those abilities in the first place and act accordingly.

7. tomr

tomr Elite Refuge Member

I think the major difference is this; Each of us are part of Gods plan. We are all here for a purpose. Each of has "work" of some kind to do. Some of are called to the ministry, some are called to law enforcement, some are called to medicine etc. etc. etc. Its a matter of how we respond to our calling.

In the case of the disciples, they were called to drop everything and literally follow Him. They demonstrated their trust in God by doing so. If it's on your heart to drop everything and head to Africa on a mission there is a good chance that God is calling you to so. Do you dig your heels in and resist, or do you go? Do you trust in God, or do you trust in the flesh?

8. Buffalo Howler

Buffalo Howler Senior Refuge Member

In one way you can read your bible. Discover a truth about God and share that with a coworker that may be hungry for it. Many people have tried to do acts of service to try to earn Gods love. God can never love you any less or any more. It is all about getting your prioritys right and using the bible as your guide to how to live a holy life. If your able to give generously do so. You will do it without anyone even knowing it. If someone you know is going through marital problems your should comfort them with the truth of Gods grace. Pray to be used by God in the service of others is not tired to clergy, church staff or missionary's. Money is about the cheapest way to share ones faith with another. Telling them the truth can be very expensive. Be a friend and help them with what they need the most. Love.

9. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

I always think about us feeding our 2 dogs and the vet care they get. How much per year? How many starving kids could I feed with that money.

Sad fact is I would rather selfishly feed and care for 2 dogs for my own enjoyment, than feed some starving kids. Sad man really sad.

10. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

ducknwork, that's eloquent, thoughtful, insightful, convicting, challenging, meaningful commentary. I just happened to glance over here and saw it. Well done.

How and what to give are timeless, difficult questions. I salute you for not going with the common answers. I certainly have a LONG way to go on the subject, despite battling with it for years.