Jesus said....

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by ducknwork, Mar 3, 2015.

1. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

Not to detract from this discussion, because I think you are spot on, but I think we have to keep some present time perspective. The disciples of Christ were with Christ, literally. I'm sure that didn't make it any easier to leave home, job and family, but it was also different circumstance than what we face presently, or so I believe.

I believe wholeheartedly in helping those who need help. I do not however believe that the Lord intends for us to give up everything we have, to do so. And I could obviously be wrong. Yet if I gave up my job, my home, my family, my possessions, would I still be able to render the aid that I am capable of, now? My answer is no, I couldn't.

Having the job that I do, not only affords me the ability to have some nice things in this life, but it also affords me the ability to help those less fortunate than me. I think the question though, is do I do as much as I possibly could for all those who stand in need. To answer honestly and fairly, I would have to say no, that I too have room for improvement.

No, the 10% probably isn't going to cut it, but it surely is a start and is appreciated by those it aids. Don't discourage yourself by what you may perceive as being too little, but rather, add to it as you see fit. Any of us can improve ourselves, though it becomes hard to do if we tear ourselves down too frequently. Too often I think people do that, and then give up out of frustration - don't do that. Having this in your mind is a starting point and it sounds like you are going to grow from it. Not only that, you have undoubtedly inspired some of us here, to do more.

One man (you or me or anyone here for that matter), can't fix it all by themselves. You can make a difference in the lives of other individuals who stand in need. It reminds me of the story of the kid throwing star-fish back into the ocean and an older guy tells him he'll never make a difference because there are too many star-fish to save. The young man picks up another one and throws it back into the ocean and says "Yeah, but it made a difference to that one." I think that is what Christ expects of us.

I was reading about fasting this morning before heading out and what a great principle that is, to fast for one day a month and donate what you would have consumed, to others in need. So if you would have taken the family out to eat and spent $50, plus whatever you would have spent on the food you consumed at the meals you ate at home, you take that amount and help those who stand in need. Is that enough when added to the 10%? Probably not, but again, it's something you can do to make a difference in someone elses life, and another stepping stone towards improving into the men that our Lord would want us to be. And how many of us couldn't fast for one day a month? Few I'm guessing...

I've been considering finding a way to volunteer time on a regular basis to a homeless shelter or food bank or something. You've given me more inspiration to do so. Thank you.

2. ducknwork

ducknwork Elite Refuge Member

Thanks Okie.

3. ducknwork

ducknwork Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the reply. Forgot I posted this thread and just saw a couple new comments.

To the bold-I never meant to imply (nor do I think that its what we are called to do) that we should give up necessities. But how many of the 'nice things' that we work for are ok? And how many of the nice things stand in the way of us serving the needy, which in turn serves God?

We clearly have to have the necessities to provide a safe, good environment and life for our families. But how far can we go beyond that and still be 'following Jesus'? Is one boat ok, but two is crossing the line? How about a $10 flip phone vs a $700 Iphone? Or would we be better spending extra time and money taking care of the 'least of my people' instead of pursuing frivolous hobbies and buying luxury items?

Mother Theresa comes to mind.

4. flankfeather

flankfeather Senior Refuge Member

^^^^^ this is spot on. I, too, feel like I'm worth more to the Lord making money and giving back. I don't mean when a kid knocks on the door and is doing a school fundraiser or at the check out counter when they ask if I'd be willing to donate a $1 to Jerry's Kids either, but the guy down the street who just lost his job, the family that has to find money to bury a loved one, etc. Money giving is just one aspect of giving - there's the giving of time, too. It's all service.

I do think the Lord wants us to be happy, though. For me, being outdoors kinda pushes a reset button that I'd like to think benefits Him. I will admit that I do try to keep some balance in spending and I do weigh hobby purchases. In the end, in my mind, whatever time and money I have are His.

5. MissedAgain

MissedAgain Elite Refuge Member

I did not read the comments.

God said to tithe 10% annually and to bring it before Him on the feasts. He also said that every 3rd year you were to give 10% to the orphans, widows, and priests. (look it up if you don't believe it)

He did not say that we need to be poor. That is hogwash and the teaching of the "church" to gladly take your money. They say you need to tithe 10% of your paycheck but that's not what GOD says.

Abraham was rich, Joseph wad rich, David was rich, Daniel was in a high position, Job was rich and then even richer after he refused to curse God...

SO - why weren't they all poor and destitute? There is nothing wrong with working hard and saving your money. People are allowed to be wealthy AND Godly.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015