Jimbob's Swan Salad, and more...

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Jimbob, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Jimbob

Jimbob Elite Refuge Member

The guys have been asking for my Swan Salad Recipe a lot lately, so I thought I'd put it up here, too.

Jimbob's Swan Salad: I usually use everything EXCEPT the breast (wings, thighs, legs, back,etc.), but even just the breast should be o.k. Boil in enough water to cover, with a whole quartered onion, a few stalks of celery cut into 2" pieces, a couple of teaspoons of salt, and a couple of teaspoons of fresh ground black pepper for about 3 hrs., or until very tender. Be sure the water doesn't boil off too much - add as necessary. Bone and dice the meat as for any meat salad. Add chopped onion, celery, sweet pickle cubes, and hard cooked eggs to taste. Stir in some mayo and add salt and pepper to taste. Great with crackers, or on a sandwich. BTW, strain the stock and use it wherever you need a good poultry or game stock.

Jimbob's Salisbury Swan: Saute' a large sliced onion and a minced clove of garlic in the reserved drippings from about a pound of bacon until the onion is clear. Remove onion, drain well (saving drippings) and place onion in crock pot. Cut the breast into strips. Roll in WELL seasoned flour and brown in reserved drippings. Place in crock pot with onion. Cover with water (or swan stock, from making swan salad) and either slow cook all day, or cook on high for about 4 hrs. Serve with rice. If you want to add a sweet touch, add a couple of tablespoons of apple or red current jelly just before serving.