Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Jon Boat Pods

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by bdo, Jun 29, 2006.

1. bdo

bdo Sponsor

What can someone tell me about pods on a jon boat? Are they useful if you dont have a mud motor and just a standard outboard? Who makes them and how are they installed? I just am totally oblivious to the benefits/negatives of them.

Thanks

2. TDK

TDK Elite Refuge Member

What pods do?
    They create a bigger surface area on the boat. This causes the boat to sit higher in the water, causing you to be able to run shallower because you are floating higher. Also makes for some good boarding steps.:tu
    Try to contact someone that can weld aluminum, hell all it is is a box.
    If im not mistakin' Beavertail make a pair of them that bolt on, but your best bet is to have them welded on.(less holes in the transom)
    Plus if you have them costum built they will be to your likings in size, weight, etc...

Anything else just ask.

3. jesse63b

jesse63b Elite Refuge Member

4. Bill McAdam

Bill McAdam Senior Refuge Member

I asked the guy why he installed them. He said that they provide dry storage, and they increase aft flotation. He was a big guy and it made sense that there would be more flotation aft since it had a tiller controlled motor, requiring him to sit at the back of the boat. It made it ride higher in the water.

5. offroadbaby

offroadbaby Elite Refuge Member

I'm working on a little 12 footer. Do any of you think these would be a good add on for it? I basically run across the river in it and that's it. I don't have any shallow water to run.

6. Bill McAdam

Bill McAdam Senior Refuge Member

that adding pods would be OK. I wonder if you were to fabricate them open at the top if they'd make good storage? What I mean is, you could put your anchor and line in one and have it out of your boat and stuff like that. They'd give you additional wet storage as well as floatation, effectively increasing the length of your boat.

7. Lpeacock

Lpeacock Refuge Member

Ok, here's my 2 cents worth....

I have a Beavertail Boat with pods. I generally love them. One thing to remember about them, is they are not installed flush with the bottom of the boat. They are about 1/2" up from flush. This allows the bow to rise up slightly, and when you come down from plane, they add the extra flotation they advertise.

Now with that in mind...
    I went out on a windy (50 mph with 60 gusts) a couple of years ago. I took a big wave over the bow. Without the pods, my front end MAY have been higher, and MAY have not taken on the extra water. I cannot say for sure, but I've alwys wondered. I do KNOW that the pods kept my severly overloaded boat's motor exhaust above the water and therefore did not kill the outboard allowing me to get back to shore and to write this thread...

Some people say that the pods will cause you to wash out in sharp turns, and this is true...If you take a 90 degree turn at 30 mph! If you drive the duck boat as neeeded, this is really not a factor.

Storage:
    As I mentioned before, when the boat is full of water, they provide additional flotation. If you were to leave them open on top you loose this feature, and in all likely hood, they will fill with water and actually lower the back end of your boat. Also, having weight BEHIND your motor really screws up the boat's plane. Weight behind the motor (pushing down) seems to REALLY weigh down a boat.

Step into the boat:
    Wow are they handy - automatic boat dog step and even with waders full of water you can climb back in (don't ask)...

Now for my personal problem -

As I've said I really like my pods (they are installed correctly - Incorrect installation could have disasterous effets!)

My current outboard has no issue with the pods. But, now I'm on hte waiting list for a new motor with reverse and the pods may interfer with that feature. So eiher I go without reverse, or I'm going to modify the pods - looks like the pods may be modified - so I hope I don't screw something up!

Good luck, hope it helps

Lp