Journal Your Dove Hunts.

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Legband, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Legband

Legband Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

We are 144 hours away from Dove season.
    Good Wing Shooting
    Good Dog Work
    Good Fellowship
    Good Eating at the Dove Feed Opening Night.
    For us it all begins Monday September 1st.
    The Count Down Begins.

Journal your Hunts with info and Pics to share with Your Forum Hunting Partners.

2. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I had a particularly good opener this year. Thanks to a generous invitation from one of my father?s friends, this was the first time I really felt confidant and safe taking Kierra on an opener?

The night before she did not want to put on her ?bang-bang? clothes, but we did compromise and she wore her hunting pants and ?nite-nite? shirt?

Arriving at our spot, we quickly changed into the bang-bang clothes, and Kierra was very excited to wear the headlamp and lead the way to our spot? After loading up with approximately 200 lbs of gear (including Kierra?s stuff as well as plenty of water for the dog), we were at our spot and waiting for our first bird.

Kierra spotted the first bird, and while yelling at me to ?SHOOT IT!? she dropped her cereal bar? I told her to eat the clean side.

Everyone knew when I had killed a bird from Kierra?s excited yells of ?YOU GOT ANOTHER ONE!? I was admittedly a bit dismayed that she was so surprised every time I got a bird.

It was a slow but consistent shoot, and after Kierra made a quick bird count, we headed off to join the crew for breakfast? Kierra had pancakes (with sausage), chocolate milk, and a chocolate donut?

Upon arriving home, my wife asked her if she had a good time? Her answer? ?Daddy forgot my GUN!?

Kierra counts the birds to make sure we have a limit:

[​IMG]

Kierra and myself with our limit:

[​IMG]

3. Ike

Ike Elite Refuge Member

Good job squaller. Great pix.
    We were not so lucky here in west TN. Rained for two days. Opener was clear and hot but no birds. Another front moved in late afternoon. Don't know where the birds went. First time ever I never fired a shot. Maybe saw 10 birds all day.
    But good for u taking the little one.

4. Legband

Sweet hunt I shoot every opener with my children and grandchildren along with a few friends.

5. Legband

We had a great Opener
    And then my buddy hosted a dove feed with the family's of the guys who shot
    it was a great day all the way around.

Attached Files:

6. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I really enjoy the family thing during the opener, but it is becoming increasingly difficult in my state to find such a spot.

This year was particularly difficult to find a place to hunt (at least to find a place with birds)... Looks like a poor hatch, and the birds are concentrated in more urban areas due to lack of water.

Now that I have my own children coming up the line, I am trying ever so hard to find safe spots to take them. I have been amazed in the last 10 years, the total lack of common sense, common curtousy, and total disregard for safety even on private areas.

This year, I was invited by a friend of my father to hunt with his family at his family ranch, cause he knew I really wanted to take my daughter to a safe place to hunt. It was such a pleasant change of pace from the last 10 or so openers I have been involved in...

No casings left on the ground, no yelling at someone not to shoot so low, no trash left behind... Pleasant, friendly people that were a pleasure to share a dove field with... Not a lot of birds, but most of us were experienced hunters, and we all managed a limit of 15 (previously 10) birds. If everyone could be so considerate, it would not be such a chore to find a spot to shoot.