June 21:Stakeholder Meeting on Proposed Moccassin Island Changes

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by Blueyed-goof, May 23, 2012.

1. Blueyed-goof

Blueyed-goof Senior Refuge Member

These proposed changes will be discussed at the Southern Recreational Public Meeting ? June 21, 2012 in Viera at the Brevard County Commission Chambers, I'm not sure of the time yet.

This has been posted on a smaller FL website but I feel that this should be posted on areas that "might" get more attention. There is a proposal out to limit the number of days on a walk in property that is currently open all hunting season.

http://floridaswater.com/recreationandland/pdfs/USJRMWMA_HUNT_AREA_PROPOSAL.pdf

I am NOT here to start a fight....I am here to get word out to those who may not visit other sites that may have an opinion that wants to be voiced.

Danibeth

2. blackmagic

blackmagic Senior Refuge Member

Then why don't you explain each side of the fence.

3. David B

David B Senior Refuge Member

The material listed in this post doesn't offer a discussion. It describes what the meeting is about and why it is happening. Merely a notice of meeting.

Can we leave this posting at that? We all know that it is being discussed ad nauseam on the WWW.

4. blackmagic

blackmagic Senior Refuge Member

Yeah, but they way she's stated it, while slight, does sway towards making those that agree with restricting it look like the bad guys...

I wonder if anybody with amazing habitat and numerous birds would be open to all day, 7 day a week hunting on leased land.....and that's only a few individuals. Let alone only 3,000 acres, much of which isn't always suitable duck habitat and wide open to the public.

I've said my peace.

5. Lake O Hunter

Lake O Hunter Elite Refuge Member

Thanks

6. Capt Jeff Kraynik

Capt Jeff Kraynik Elite Refuge Member

Great idea, go get a private lease for yourself & then make up your own rules & leave the public lands to the public!!!

And BTW, in other flyways, most leases are open all season.

7. huntmstr

huntmstr New Member

Bravo Dani. Thanks for posting the information on the meeting and keeping it informative and without bias.:tu

8. Blueyed-goof

Blueyed-goof Senior Refuge Member

To Interested Participants:

On June 21, 2012 from 5:00 ? 5:55 pm, the St. Johns River Water Management District will host a discussion regarding proposed waterfowl hunting changes at Moccasin Island. The meeting will be held in the Brevard County Commission Chambers, 2725 Judge Fran Jamieson Way, Viera, FL ? directions below.

Representatives from the St. Johns River Water Management District and the FL Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission will be present.

6:00 pm will start the regular Southern Recreational Public Meeting that will end at 8:00 pm.

Directions:

From I-95, take Exit 191 (Wickham Road) and travel west through a roundabout for approximately 1 mile, turn north (right) on Stadium Parkway and travel just over 1 mile, turn east (right) onto Judge Fran Jamieson Way, travel approximately 500 ft and turn right (south) into the large parking lot. The county commission chambers are located in the second building on your right.

9. Capt Jeff Kraynik

Capt Jeff Kraynik Elite Refuge Member

Pat,

I'm not in this to make friends, I'm in this to keep a piece of property that is currently open (7) seven days a week from being restricted down to (3) three days a week.

I should not be the one doing this.

It's an access issue, UWF should be fighting to keep MOC open.

But they can't because it's members of the BoD & RD's (as individuals) that are proposing the closure.

I hunted MOC (5) five time last season but I don't guide @ MOC due to liability purposes.

10. mottler

mottler Elite Refuge Member

Jeff all hunters know you just can't shoot a small impoundment 7 days a week including afternoons and not wreck the place. It's not good management for that type of area nor is it good stewardship for the birds. Leaving them there with less pressure will improve the hunting all around the impound that is and will always remain open everyday all day. It's not just BOD and RD's of UW that see this, it's everyone, even the guys that oppose it even if they won't admit it or stand their ground against because of some ideological reason they think it will lead to further restrictions. I bet if we keep hammering the place that will get you to further restrictions as opposed to being proactive and adopting our own restrictions that don't require permits. If you don't guide there now due to liability then why did you years past? UWF has no directive or goal to fight for 24/7 access, never has. That perception is by those who want to change it's directives and goals and that will not happen. UW's goals are to improve Floridas waterfowling through habitat and conservation. Open new area's with reasonable access and no permits and get more access in places that can stand it. In a nutshell. Here they are please point out the all access 24/7 one to me.
    To provide Florida waterfowlers with a unified voice.
    To promote better relationships between waterfowlers and the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission, Water Management Districts, US Fish & Wildlife Service, and the citizens of Florida.
    To provide hunter input through a statewide communication network to the legal processes that determine land use of state and federally owned properties.
    To promote waterfowl hunting by providing hunting opportunities for both youth and adults.
    To promote conservation and enhancement of Florida's natural resources.
    To preserve the waterfowling heritage for future generations of Floridians