Juneau Eats and Sights

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by H2O_Tech, Apr 8, 2014.

1. H2O_Tech

H2O_Tech Senior Refuge Member

Going to be in Juneau week of April 21-24. Not a lot of free time (AWWMA show), but toss out some ideas for quick car tours, good eating spots, and watering holes.

2. Erich_870

Erich_870 Senior Refuge Member

You'll want to drive to the end of every road to see the sights, especially now that the snow is gone. Drive all the way north on Egan Drive / Glacier Hwy and see Echo Cove and all the overlooks along the way. Drive all the way south on Egan and see Thane, go through the avalanche chute and see the waterfalls. Cross over the Juneau-Douglas Bride and drive to the end of the North Douglas Hwy and see the overlooks and False Outer Point. The North Douglas Boat Launch is the place to get some awesome photos of the Mendenhall Glacier from a distance. Drive to the southern end of Douglas Hwy and see Sandy Beach and the Treadwell Mine Ruins.

Lastly, be sure to drive to the Mendenhall Glacier and visitors center and hike around.

As for food, there is the Hanger on the Wharf with classic American dishes plus good seafood. Wet your whistle at the Red Dog Saloon and see the history on the walls. There's a really good sports bar called McGivney?s Sports Bar & Grill in the valley.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head right now :)

Erich