Juneau in July

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by creighton58, Jan 10, 2011.

1. creighton58

creighton58 Elite Refuge Member

I am currently in my last semester of classwork in the Doctor of Pharmacy program at Purdue University and just found out that I will be placed in Juneau for four weeks as part of my clinical rotations this summer. I will be working at the South Eastern Alaska Regional Health Center (SEARHC) from July 2-July 30, 2011.

Our clinical rotations run for one full year and our locations change every 4 weeks. Purdue does not pay or provide any housing (even though we still get to pay full tuition!). As you can imagine, it is often difficult to get 4 week leases in apartments and other locations. I have been speaking with students who have completed this rotation in the past and individuals at SEARHC about my housing options for the 4 weeks I will be there.

The reason I'm posting here is simply to see if anyone on the forums is in that area and owns any apartments or knows anyone who would be willing to rent something to me for 4 weeks. I have character references and any other information if needed. Any information or leads anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated!

On another note, what are my outdoor options this time of year? I will have a lot of free time in the evenings and on the weekends and would love to get out and do some fishing and/or hunting. Thanks again for any info.

2. Erich_870

Erich_870 Senior Refuge Member

An early welcome from Juneau!

It would be difficult to line up an affordable place to stay for a new city every 4 weeks! :eek: I don't know of anyone off the top of my head who has a place for rent so I suggest to you post a message on the SE Alaska Craigslist page. Make it specific and as "anti-spam" as you can.

Lots of people use craigslist in this town, so you have a good chance of finding something. If all else fails there are places like the Juneau Hotel and extended stay where you could rent a room for 4 weeks. I'm sure you can find someone who will need house sitting or something though.

As for outdoors stuff in July, your arriving at a great time to get out and hike all over the place, and the kings should be here. You'll have to pony up the extra $100 for a non-res king stamp, but you might as well since you'll have enough time to catch one.

Erich

3. creighton58

Erich - thanks for the info! That helps a lot for sure. I will definitely be buying a non-res fishing license because I should have a decent amount of free time and will not know anyone in the area. Fishing and hiking will give me something to do during all that down time!

Maybe we could get together for a fishing trip or two at some point since you are in the area?

4. Erich_870

I'm always up for a fishing trip. Send me a PM when you get into town! :tu

Erich

5. creighton58

Just bumping this back to the top. I have been looking hard and following a lot of leads to find housing for July but I am not coming up with much. If anyone knows someone in the Juneau area who may have an apartment or even an extra room to rent this summer let me know! Thanks!

6. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

When did the King Stamp go to $100? I quit buying one a coupl of years ago when almost all kings left the Juneau area for places unknown and only ones around were in harbor-those that were placed when young there for yahoos to catch-even alot of charter guys will be seen there as it at least gives one a chance at a king- we go south and west every year with friends we have been fishing with for 35 yrs or so- lately King fishing has sucked so we wait till mid/late July and go mostly for Coho's and halibut or black cod etc. crabs and shrimping has been good the past few years also.
    I remember when I was a res and the DNR started with a $10 king stanmp- that sucked but $100 is dumb.

7. bigreid

bigreid Moderator Moderator

$100 is for a season long king stamp. A one day king stamp is still $10 and a 3 day is $20.

8. SeniorCoot

Ok, That's what it's been- i forgot about the 1 & 3 day lic- Still will pass again this summer. Coho's eat, can, and smoke well enough for me.

9. Erich_870

Speaking of kings and stamps. I was at DIPAC last year trying to get my niece on her first king (she reeled in a 35lber on the next trip!) and overheard a conversation with a state trooper (blue shirt) and a couple of anglers (visiting from down south). He was checking everyone's king stamps, and they were legal, but one asked if they really needed a king stamp since the dogs were in as well. If they didn't have the stamp and caught a king, they would just release it. The trooper said, "When the kings are in, you must have the stamp to fish here, even if you just keep dogs". They asked how that could be since a person could legitimately be fishing just for dogs (chum salmon). He said that because this "dog fisherman" is fishing with the exact same gear as the guy next to him who's fishing for kings, in the most productive king fishing spot in Juneau, said fisherman is required to have the stamp. They tried to argue the point from different angles until he had to leave on another call.

We had a summer intern last year who was a fishing nut, but didn't want to pay the $100 for the season stamp and I told him the story so he didn't find himself with a ticket. :tu

Erich

10. SeniorCoot

What is DIPAC--the release spot?? if so you may be right BUT at Excursion inlet -Funter bay- Home Shore- etc i fish for 8-10 days each year without-a king tag- been boardered by feds (butts) and Staties and never got a ticket-On the few occasions when I do fish for those Tame kings i get a one day lic and we always hook up- just gotta know the tides etc.When we didn't need a $100 tag and nwent from Fai- Jnu several times a year we often went outside for kings- king fishing has gone way way down hill in the past few years- ditto halibut for much of the season and thay get smaller each year.