Just another flocked decoy debate....

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by NEwaterfolwer, Feb 19, 2018.

1. NEwaterfolwer

NEwaterfolwer New Member

Trying to gather thoughts about mixing fully flocked Canada fullbodies with non-flocked fullbodies? I know so of you think the fully flocked decoys are a gimmick while others swear by them. Try to forget about that for a second…

I would think a goose should be able to tell the difference between a fully flocked decoy and a non-flocked decoy. However big of a difference that might be, I would think that they can tell a difference between the two if you have a spread that let’s say is half flocked. I'm not saying they both can't decoy birds, my argument is that I think they can tell the difference between the two.

With that said, I would love to add some fully flocked decoys to my spread especially to put in the landing hole and gain confidence. However, I don’t want to add a different style of decoy to my spread and have birds flare or slide off b/c half the spread looks different than the other half.

My situation- I have 3 dozen FA livecraft fullbodies and considering adding another 3 dozen avian fully flocked lessers.

I guess what I would like to hear is that by the time they can tell the difference between the two they are within shooting range… but I don’t know. Thoughts?

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

50% of hunting is the location.
    40% is proper concealment.

Birds have been killed over 1/2 tires. Birds are being killed consistently over slabs of plywood painted black and white.

My point is, don't over think this. If you think flocked dekes work, use them (I do). Today, they might come into the flocked blocks. Tomorrow, they might be in the painted ones. There might be a subtle 'look' to the spot that appeals to the birds, that we can't see from the ground. Could be the wind.

There is no debate, because there is no proof what birds prefer.

3. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

They close enough to tell the difference between flocked and non flocked I'd say they should they are with in shooting range.

4. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

I put my best decoys at the edge of the kill hole and work out from there. So in this case, the flocked would be what the geese are seeing as they finish. You will be fine.

5. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

I don't kill half the birds a lot of people do but here is what I have observed this year. Before this year I have only ever hunted over DSD's or fully flocked decoys. This year I got invited on a hunt where we used 3 dozen Tanglefree non flocked decoys and the birds worked great. Not one time did I feel like hey they flared because that decoys weren't fully flocked. Also hunted this year where we were hunting a field with a lot of birds using it and had to use non flocked decoys and flocked decoys. That morning we had frost that turned to dew. Those non flocked decoys looked like they were glowing in the field. Early morning wasn't a problem but once sun got on them we couldn't get any birds to finish. Were we in the wrong spot? Maybe but it sure felt like those shiny decoys didn't help. That's why I keep flip flopping if I should buy more fully flocked or not or even try silos. Side note how do you like those livecraft decoys?

6. NEwaterfolwer

NEwaterfolwer New Member

That morning where the frost turned to dew, was that a September day? I've read a lot of posts that state those that use fully flocked decoys are because of those September mornings where the dew would make unflocked decoys shine. If that was the biggest driver in getting flocked decoys for some, I'd be willing to save some money and buy unflocked and just battle it out on those rare days.

Appreciate everyone's feedback!

7. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

Hit on the head with dew/frost. We run both ave the mornings of frost or dew non flocked shine like no other in the sun

8. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

Thanksgiving weekend. We can get frost any day of the season. Not that we do but it's always a possibility.

9. Big AL1

Big AL1 Refuge Member Sponsor

Overrated! We hunt with mixed finished fb's, shells, and mostly silo's...that are not flocked. No issues. You will never decoy 100 percent of the birds that look at your spread.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  10. Action

Action Elite Refuge Member

I run DSD’s on non frosty or dew days. When in doubt I run the Avian X fully flocked. I’m covered and kill a bunch of geese over both.