Just another flocked decoy debate....

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by NEwaterfolwer, Feb 19, 2018.

1. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Nice.

2. Jay Mo 37

Jay Mo 37 Refuge Member

We run Stuffers, Fully flocked, and Plastics. When we use stuffers, it's just stuffers. But when we use FFD & plastics, we mix or use just one type. And in all three instances we kill birds. In our opinion it's the location & scouting that really matters. And whether you have one field or multiple fields that you hunt, you always need to change up what the birds are seeing.

3. Jjm

Jjm Refuge Member

I have and use both. I just put them out, no regard to where flocked or nonflocked are placed. I have never noticed the difference between one or the other, in the ability to harvest birds. I hunt Ohio and illinois.
    The flocked decoys look good but I don’t think it makes much difference to the birds, or is a must have. Shot a lot of birds before flocking existed, still using those decoys.
    Flocking is nice but not necessary. It is more for hunters than geese. Manufacturers want you to buy new gear and spend $.

4. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

^^^^^^^^
    This, especially the last sentence.

5. FAIRCHASE

FAIRCHASE Senior Refuge Member

If I use non flocked decoy I have longer flying shots most of the time. If I use flocked I get wings locked landing shots or landed shots most of the time. If I can drive my trailer into the fields and want to put out a lot of decoys I use the non flocked out away from the hole with the flocked around the hole. Doing this bring in more traffic birds but works both in close and sometimes longer shots. Having the birds in in the fleld for awhile or is the a lot of pressure in the area. This has more to do with it than flocked or not. It also has changed as the year goes on the later in the season the more I use my best decoys. Don't use your best early in the season as you will have none thing to go to later.

6. aecrowell

aecrowell Senior Refuge Member

Your over thinking the situation. Best thing you can do is scout. If you can hunt the X then do so. If not take the decoys you have and get set up under the geese and run traffic. Flocked, non-flocked it doesn't matter. You have to conceal yourself good and be able to talk to them a bit.

Set it up and have some fun, oh yeah shoot'em close.

7. dukgtr187

dukgtr187 Senior Refuge Member

I use primarily 3 dozen silos on the west side (WA), I do also run 6 hard core full bodies flocked heads, 6 higdon wobblers with flocked heads and 8 floaters if there's water. I have more birds land in the silos than the others. Last year during late season in zone 2 when we got snow at the end of February I ran only my silos and limited in 30 minutes. The hide was definitely key as I don't have snow covers for my layouts and my dog doesn't really blend in snow luckily there was snow fall after I set up that covered my layout and the grass was tall along the fence line. I am a firm believer in silos as I run them all season.
    IMG_20180218_100728_228.jpg

8. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

Glad you like silos! I ordered 5 dozen a month or two back. Hopefully try using mostly just those this year, so we will see how it goes.