Just finished, Instrument panel for my 30HP OB for less then $20

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by CA Hunter, Oct 2, 2017.

1. CA Hunter

CA Hunter Senior Refuge Member

After purchasing rough running 30HP( for $50 with electric start and investing approximately $60-70 do get it working just fine (i reported this ordeal sometime back and get a great hel from fuge members, thank you) i thought that i wanted and instrument panel to be able to see RPM, charge, motor temperature, be able to charge my sell, connect the fish finder and put a safety switch on.

This motor being a tiller and my 1448 not having a console i had to improvise meaning to attach it to the board somehow
    The pre-made ones is not very easy to attach to the board, have no instruments/gadgets i want and also they are too expensive for my blood.

The only solution was to built one myself.
    materials used:
    A stainless door i found on the side of the road and cut the panel out of it. - Free
    Tach - $7 from Amazon
    Voltmeter $2.27 from EBay
    Kill Switch $3.12
    Termometer $4.53
    Cigarette lighter and fish finder connector found in my junk box from 25+ years ago friend gave me.
    On/Of switch from and old desktop computer - free

Needs some touch ups and ready to go

P1390330.JPG

The tach sensor
    P1390333.JPG

The thermometer sensor.

P1390332.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Acid-lead-Battery-indicator-capacity-digital-LED-Tester-voltmeter-CAR/263003075509?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Boat-Outboard-Engine-Motor-Kill-Stop-Switch-Safety-Tether-Lanyard-BU/182465840145?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/WH5001-Digital-LCD-Thermometer-Temperature-Meter-Gauge-Test-Detection-C-F/262558775808?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

callinfowl likes this.
  2. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

Looks good. I wish i would've done something like that instead of the pre-fab switch panel a used. I just had front marker lights, stern light, and spot light. Maybe I'll still add a volt meter like you did. My longtail engine ONLY has electric start and it'd be nice to be able to keep an eye on the battery. My tach and a toggle switch for my fuel pump is mounted on the face of the engine.

Attached Files:

3. CA Hunter

CA Hunter Senior Refuge Member

I do not have any lights on my boat, never needed, but if need comes, it is easy to connect since i already have on-off switch and output terminal on the side where i intend to connect the fishfinder(not seen on the picture).
    Still deliberating if i should connect an electric fuel pump (i have 2 from Subaru/Mitsubishi) but i do not know if i need one and what to do in case my battery is dead. I'll have to carry an emergency line with a manual pump?