Just got back from Diver hunting with RJ

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by leftyhunter, Dec 8, 2016.

1. leftyhunter

leftyhunter Senior Refuge Member

I nust posted on the diver duck forum and RJ should have pictures on his Facebook page. I appreciate the prior recommendations for RJ at Northwind Outfitters. If one hasn't diver duck hunted RJ is a great way to be introduced to it.
    Leftyhunter

SutterduckHunter likes this.
  2. MudBlood

MudBlood Refuge Member

Yup. I've done this hunt twice with RJ. It's a blast!

3. Pistol

Pistol Senior Refuge Member

Sounds like a great trip. We have several hunts with RJ coming up prior to the end of the season, but none of them are diver hunts. Have you guys found the divers to be table-worthy?

Thanks,

Bill

4. YamaJet

YamaJet Elite Refuge Member

Yes !!

5. leftyhunter

Of you enjoy a liver/pork sausage taste with some Tabasco sauce and a hearty glass off a strong India Pale Ale then hell yes!
    Actually Ijust had aome for breakfast with green tea and Tabasco sauce and they wete great. No one else in my family thinks so.
    If you Google sea duck recipies ther is an article by a cook book writer who accompanied RJ and has a number of recipes. We had a lot of birds and thankfully Fin Feathers and Fur in Colusa handled the birds and made sausage patties out of them. I breasted some on my own never again!
    If you breast them yourself buy a real good small garden shear. Them bones are tough ti cut through.
    Leftyhunter

6. Jim Dandy

Jim Dandy Elite Refuge Member

Perhaps I can help you. To fillet the breast off of a duck you do not need shears of any kind. Nor does the bird need to be plucked. I can beat 7 birds in as many minutes. A sharp thin blade knife is all you need.

Dandy

7. kej

kej Refuge Member

8. Pistol

Pistol Senior Refuge Member

Thanks gents. I actually have 3 of Hank's cookbooks. I'll take a tour through them and see what I come up with.

Bill

9. leftyhunter

I always thought you had to cut of all the bones and tendons to get the breast off. Interesting.
    Leftyhunter

10. You just pluck a small spot on the breast and cut the skin away, then filet the meat off of the bone.

mudhen and leftyhunter like this.