Just moved to Kodiak

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by Clint F, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Clint F

Clint F New Member

Hey guys,

I just moved to Kodiak, AK. I got stationed on the USCGC Alex Haley. I am looking for advice and a hunting/fishing partner or two in kodiak. I was wondering what the primary species of waterfowl are here. Looking for the 6 most shot species. Also how are the road system rivers for fishing? Do all the little creeks hold trout? Look forward to hearing from and maybe meeting some of you.

Clint

2. dragon1681

dragon1681 Elite Refuge Member

Contact Ring King I believe he was in that area before he headed to Fla.

Tom L

3. Ray

Ray Senior Refuge Member

4. Ring King

Ring King Elite Refuge Member

I made it to Kodiak on many occasions when the CGC Sycamore pulled in there. Never did get to duck hunt, but saw plenty. There are tons of sea ducks in Womens Bay. You'll have to work out the boat situation though b/c I'm pretty sure the morale boats aren't allowed to be signed out in the winter. Several Coasties that I've known used kayaks, canoes, etc to get after them right there in the bay. The place gets covered up with scoters, Pacific eiders, golden eye, harlequin, and old squaw. There are also good numbers of mallards and other puddlers there that use the salt as well as a lot of the rivers and ponds. You'll have plenty of shooting come this fall. There are quite a few Coasties that hunt, but not too many that are hardcore waterfowlers. You can find all the ammo and supplies you'll need at the exchange, Cy's, and Mack's. I'm sure you'll have no issues on "The Rock"!!

I might even see you there if things work out in the next year or so!! Just waiting on the cuts to come out to see if I'll be making ET1 in January. I'm sitting at number 9 on the list right now!! If so Kodiak, will be near the top of my next dream sheet!!

The fishing is good in all the rivers and most of the ponds there. Everything from trout to salmon. It can get a little crowded though the closer you are to the roads. Not that you won't catch fish, but you will just have plenty of company.

Rent you a morale boat and go out on the salt and catch some real fish. They have some decent aluminum center console offshore boats that will get you into some serious halibut, king salmon, and cod fishing without having to run much out of Womens Bay.