Minnesota Flyway Forum Sponsors

Just moved

Discussion in 'Minnesota Flyway Forum' started by Mallard93, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Mallard93

Mallard93 New Member

Hey guys, I just got out t
    Of the Marine Corps and moved to the Duluth area and am looking to shoot some ducks this fall. I am just wondering if there is good duck hunting in thd area or do i have to travel west more. Any help would be much appreciated

2. h2ofwlr

h2ofwlr Elite Refuge Member

Divers on the rice lakes N of you, and some Mallards too. East there is more Ringbills.
    I'm not from that area nor hunt it, so sorry that I could be only limited help to you.
    Hopefully some others in the area will post up or PM you.

Where about did you cut your teeth duck hunting?

And thank you for serving our country.

3. Wild Rice

Wild Rice Senior Refuge Member

There is ok hunting just west of you, it's called North Dakota.

4. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

Don't be a d-bag.

Fargo is 4.5 hours by car from Duluth, and only allows NR's 10 days of hunting time.

To the original question - I have never hunted ducks in the north east - only grouse.

That being said - I would think that the bulk of the decent hunting would be west of a line from Duluth to International Falls, and as far south as Hinckley and then west again.

If you search around for info on the 'net relative to hunting ducks in the wild rice you should find some info. ;)

Good luck.

5. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

Historically west of Duluth should be good Diver country. Lake of the Woods area, Bemidji area, Mille Lacs to Grand Rapids area have all offered decent duck hunting. There are still some smaller ponds and lakes near the larger rice lakes that offer excellent hunting, but these are often on private land. When I have deer hunted (private land) near smaller rice lakes in EC MN ... the number of birds I have heard and seen has been impressive. No idea on how long they were there before or how long they stay.

I do plenty of grouse hunting and can tell you the amount of puddlers hidden on small ponds and beaver dams is really hit or miss. Mostly miss. These ducks mostly move out around October 1st to larger water or start moving south.

Talk to a few game wardens up there and see if they will share where they see ducks or duck hunters with the most success.

6. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

ND nonresident license is good for fourteen days (2 seven day splits).

If you are after field hunts for ducks and mallards, then he should consider ND, MB, or SK. Best and most economical if he is in a group for those hunts vs. solo. If he gets an invite from a coworker, neighbor, friend, etc... he should consider it.

Interestingly many hard core ND goose hunters spend a lot of time in the prairie provinces just north of them. ND Octobers are a fraction of what they once were as far as goose hunting goes. NDG&F now confirms that even their resident Canada geese often go north in August and Septemer to Canada before they return south.

7. Kooshnitz

Kooshnitz New Member

I sent you a PM. I live up on the range, theres some good duck hunting if you know where to go. Some of the best in the country but you have to get outside of Duluth. Late Oct to early Nov (right before freezeup) is the prime time typically for real ducks.