Just one Pintail ?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by callinfowl, Sep 3, 2017.

1. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

This video was taken by one the members of the CA forum.
    OK now you have to remember this video was taken on only one out of many refuges in CA Sacramento Valley, not including all of the private clubs and unhunted rice fields in the Valley.
    Or the CA Grasslands Refuges of private clubs to the south which holds close to the same number of Sprig each year.
    And you start to get the idea why we are so upset about this whole "Just one pintail" deal this year.

There are days that the Sprig are so thick, it's hard to pick other ducks safely out of the flock.
    Just one Sprig deal for CA is absolutely insane!!!:mad::mad::mad:

2. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Another he posted on the CA forum also from the Sac. Valley.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  3. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

You guys are in the epicenter of Pintail. I would venture to say you guys see a good portion of the total population of Pintail.

We have the same problem with redheads. They are everywhere. Normally limit out on them right off the bat.

Phytoplankton likes this.
  4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I'm in the same flyway as you, and I killed one pintail last year. We just don't see them.
    Sort of like elephants are endangered. Well, I get that, never seen one outside of a zoo or circus, so they must be rare. Unless you live in Uganda.

Constructeur likes this.
  5. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

East coast pintails...

[​IMG]

Buttesmacker and Scotty like this.
  6. Constructeur

Constructeur Senior Refuge Member

Specifically why? The best science we have today says otherwise, so besides a video showing lots of birds, I'm not sure what your argument is based on.

Chasin 'eyes likes this.
  7. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

Actually some of the best science we have suggests that having a 2 pintail limit would have absolutely no negative effect at all.

8. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

I believe Steel 3's has already touched on this subject and he's by far the most knowledgeable person on this subject.

9. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

The western part of the flyway, especially western parts of Wa Or & Ca are loaded with them.

10. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

No it doesn't. Pintails are up 10% this year, after last year's good year for them. It's how the "experts" apply the data is the problem ... they used one year old data. I've volunteered to take these "experts" around Snohomish and Skagit counties during the hunting season (especially Dec/Jan) to look at the numbers, but I've had not takers.