Just out of curiosity how old are you and how many years have you been a waterfowler ?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by callinfowl, Aug 1, 2017.

1. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Welcome to the Forum, muckin'around. I see you are from Marin. I started waterfowling when I was 40 and lived in San Anselmo. It's never too late to get bit by this bug. Hunting ducks and geese is the most fun I have with my clothes on.

callinfowl likes this.
  2. Robertd

Robertd Senior Refuge Member

50 years old and started hunting with my dad at the Colusa Shooting club in the sink when I was 7 years old.

3. OFH

OFH Elite Refuge Member

Just for the halibut I ran through the 141 responses so far to this thread and tallied up 89 that gave both age and number of years hunted. A couple, like Fishdog and mudhen, were too coy to say how old they were, so they got excluded. The rest either failed to report number of years they have hunted, or were comments that didn’t address themselves to the subject.

I sorted the data in two ways: first, age in ascending order, and then number of years hunted. (Duck Fan’s saying he started at age 2 looks a little fishy, but since he is an otherwise honorable man I have included his. What were you shooting back then, Rick, a 10 ga side by side?). I also excluded the guy who hunted turkeys 4 months ago even though he plans to start duck hunting

Here are the results:

Age No.

16-25 2
    26-35 9
    36-45 13
    46-55 24
    56-65 30

66-75

76-85

86+

total

I hope that does not really represent a true picture of the age distribution, and that there are a lot more younger hunters than show up in these data. Maybe they are too busy texting to log in. If not, maybe we are a dying breed.

As to years hunted, the data show no pattern that I can see except that maybe a lot of those guys with 50 or more years of hunting behind them have already swirled the drain and thus do not show.

yrs hunted

No

0-10

11-15

16-25

26-35

36-45

46-55

56-65

66-75

76-85

total

This has been kind of an idiot’s delight game, but at 93 I am sort of at loose ends with more time than I know what to do with. All these years seem to have put a discouraging damper on my writing anything original any more, which bothers me. Hope I can get out from under that.

SutterduckHunter, API and Wareagle1 like this.
  4. muckin'around

muckin'around New Member

Thanks HH. Yes, it sounds like it's a highly addictive habit. If I get just half the enjoyment others here seem to get from it, I think I'll be doing alright.

Pic of Mt. Tam for you from the reclamation ponds by St. Vincent's last December - - it's where I really started giving this duck thing some serious thought.
    20161219_171033.jpg
    If you ever need anyhing from Marin, let me know.
    Cheers.

5. Scott h

Scott h Senior Refuge Member

41 and and this will be my 33 year behind the gun, my ol man started taking me to grizzly island when I was three, toted the ol red Ryder by the time I was 5 wearing plastic trash bags for waders and licensed by 8, my first gun was a mossberg 500 12 ga, I still remember the bruised face and shoulder after every hunt but had a smile from ear to ear every time.