Just out of curiosity how old are you and how many years have you been a waterfowler ?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by callinfowl, Aug 1, 2017.

1. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

44 years with hunting license - dad was upland as that was what was at Grandma's ranch. Got into duck hunting via a buddy in high school, so 38 years hunting ducks.

callinfowl likes this.
  2. Wood-Dro

Wood-Dro Elite Refuge Member

Gramps started dragging me out when I was 5. Haven't missed an opening day in 45 years.

Now I need some help from the Fuge Brain-trust. Have a good younger friend that I invite hunting a few times a year and do other things like Colombo Club, dinners, etc. He is 30 and getting married this year. Guess what day they picked? Yep, opening frickin' day! I could just strangle him! Could probably make it open morning, but nooooo, they're getting married in San Diego! So what do I do?

1. Go and finally miss my first opening day
    2. Hunt and send a nice gift and my condolences

callinfowl likes this.
  3. Pastor

Pastor Senior Refuge Member

I'll be 40 in the middle of September teal and I was introduced to waterfowl 7 years ago. I regret not experiencing it sooner

callinfowl likes this.
  4. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

No brainer. Option 2

5. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Woodro,

Send them a nice present (still a lot cheaper than going to San Diego) and go duck hunting.
    As you said this is not your son, just someone you sometimes duck hunt with. No way are you going to ruin your friendship.

callinfowl and Wood-Dro like this.
  6. OFH

OFH Elite Refuge Member

Always remember - business before pleasure.....

callinfowl likes this.
  7. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

#3 take him hunting opening day and save him a ton of money and headaches.

42, started at 17 when a future game warden took me to shoot a farm pond behind the local high school. Had no idea I could go duck hunting in Ohio. Had been fly tying for 7 years before that and found a new way to get tying material. Done.

mak2782, callinfowl and 1911king like this.
  8. river_city_dogs

river_city_dogs Senior Refuge Member

Flight from Sacramento to San Diego is only an hour or so....you could hunt for a couple of hours and still make it to San Diego before lunch.

callinfowl likes this.
  9. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Wooddro opening day is always nice but while not your son, you interact with him throughout the year. Southwest has plenty of flights, so as long as it is mid afternoon or later you should be able to make it.

callinfowl likes this.
  10. I missed?

I missed? Senior Refuge Member

NE Opener is October 7th, try to hunt there, go to your friends wedding and preserve your opening day run.

47, and I've been hunting for 35 years. Didn't hunt ducks until 2001, when my brother talked me into splitting a really poor rotation blind with him near Richvale. Even though I only killed 7 ducks that 1st year, I was hooked. Love watching the birds working to the call.

callinfowl likes this.