Just Realized

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by In Close, Jan 13, 2017.

1. JHerr

JHerr Elite Refuge Member

It ain't a theory it's proven that red oaks, etc. can't take flood every year without declining - although decline is slow usually. The stand will slowly transform to a more flood tolerant species composition, too.

2. Hugatree

Hugatree Elite Refuge Member

Then they should rest some areas.

3. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

This is what happens to a poorly managed flooded timber WMA. PART_1443384137729_IMG_20150927_145937110.jpg

4. Hugatree

Yessir.

5. In Close

In Close Elite Refuge Member

As Far As I Can Get From Skybusters & Spinners & V
    Agreed. That's what happens when managers, owners, or beavers cause or allow water to stay on the woods too long...obviously outside of seasonal dormancy with everything surrounding green. Looks like at least a few consecutive years under water. Surely no one is advocating flooding from February to October.

Olin leveed and started flooding five or six decades ago and those woods are not dead, and they have flooded woods before the leaves start turning.

6. Hugatree

As I have stated before: Most Most oaks cannot take hot water.

7. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

I killed a world of mallards and blacks in that little piece of woods.
    The dike and outflow is at the bottom of the picture. Most likely beavers have blocked the outflow and that's why you see water there during the summer. Laziness caused this prime piece of flooded timber to fall by the wayside.

Hugatree likes this.
  8. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Word. Seeing it on one of my favorite public spots that everyone is too lazy to walk to (and that's fine by me, I kill a lot of ducks there). Beavers dammed up the channel years ago, and now all the giant oaks are dead. It's been flooded for so long, all the trees are now rotten, and have fallen. Now it's being consumed by button brush/willows, but it's so hard to walk around in there, it's ridiculous.

9. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

The species composition to me is as big an issue as the dead timber...go from nuttall and other oaks that are smaller acorns and good duck food to things like overcup that a wood duck can barely swallow, and the birds are coming in to roost, not eat and roost.

The truth is that greentree reservoirs don't need continuous, full-pool flooding, year after year. BM should probably have the boards left out and just go with natural water levels 2 years in 5, but it will never happen. When it is a big snag and buckbrush reservoir, everyone will complain that G&F mismanaged it, but nobody will try to change anything right now and be willing to give up hunting days.

stevena198301 likes this.
  10. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

I have a buddy who has been saying for years, "one year, they are going to leave the water off this place" (speaking of a smaller GTR), because of essentially the same thing you just said. Yet, it still isn't happening. And I'd venture to say, with the crowds of folks at each public WMA, heads would roll, if the AGFC closed a WMA for a year, and made even more pressure on the ones that remained opened.

GUNNERX2 likes this.