Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Just wanted to say....

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Native NV Ducker, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Thanks to all the people in Saskatchewan. As always, I am amazed at how nice, and 'happy' the people up there are. Service people, farmers, and just people you meet while you are up there. We got turned down on a couple of fields, because they had already given permission, and they were SO sorry they had to say no. The roads were so sloppy, none of the 'grid' roads could be used, so we knew hunters would be asking for the same fields.

Camping attendant, an older lady, made it a point to stop by every day, even though we were paid for our full time there, and ask if we were doing well. She tried to give advice, saying there were 'lots' of birds in a general direction. There were simply birds everywhere. I asked a gas station attendant if he had a hose, cuz I had to go into his store in my VERY muddy boots, and he just waved me in. "Everyone has muddy boots. We sweep the store about every hour. Go on in and do your shopping."

I go to Canada for lots of reasons. In order,
    1. To see the massive amounts of birds flying and in the fields. Check
    2. To get birds in our face, circling our set, making us deaf with the noise. Check
    3. To camp, relax, and bs over the fire. Check
    4. To bring home some birds, especially some Specks. Check.

Thanks for being a great destination to hunt!!!

GUNNERX2 and pickadrake like this.
  2. evanupnorth

evanupnorth Refuge Member

Being from Saskatchewan, that's awesome to hear. Just curious where you were?

3. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Native, I gotta agree with you. Although it has been a bunch of years since hunting there, the locals bent over backwards to make sure we had a good time. At one field that we got permission to hunt, the landowner said we had to follow 2 rules. Pick up our empties and HAVE FUN.

4. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Would love to go some day! Is it easier to rent a shotgun up there or is bringing your own gun fairly easy?

5. CNWD

CNWD Senior Refuge Member

Rent? Do you know of someone that will do that for you? or do you know of a website that rents them?

6. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Bring your gun...or I will rent you one of mine :)

7. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Border crossing is easy. There are several threads in the last month or two that covered it all. Fill out the forms to enter Canada before you get there, and do NOT sign them. Each person can bring 3 guns with no extra paperwork. We brought in 250 rounds of ammo each, told them that, and they never asked for the penalty payment for being over 200 rounds.

Coming back was fairly painless, except for the Waterfowl report. Know what kinds of birds you have, not just how many. I expected that, and we knew. I also tagged all my birds with a zip tie, in case they got picky on who shot which birds. We also kept the in separate piles in the trailer. However, they never asked to see them. They have, in the past trips.

8. GooseChaser1

GooseChaser1 Senior Refuge Member

I leave again for my second trip to Saskatchewan and will be at the Blue House near Nokomis, and have been doing this since 1998. Have made great friends over the years and it is always good to see them and catch up.

I bring them some Hot Salsa from New Mexico and I will check in on them to see how they enjoyed the treat and that I have not killed them with the heat. I also bring some of our great New Mexico wine to share with our farmer friends. Always surprised when they tell me that they are holding the fields for me to chase the birds.

I will echo the reply above that everyone that we meet greets you as a friend, welcomes you in for coffee and some Saskatoon berry pie. Even thro we might get turned down to hunt a field there is plenty of areas to enjoy and chase the birds.

Wishing everyone a safe and fun season, enjoy the time with friends, dogs.

Dennis S. (Rio Rancho, NM)
    1400 miles one way to the promise land

9. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Sorry for my ignorance, but I hope to go up there in three seasons, looking forward to retiring and being able to drive across this and that great country. Hoping to start in Canada and work my way down as economically as I can. I grew up across the river from Windsor, and only got to see part of that and Ontario. At present at the end of the Atlantic flyway. Berry pie sounds great, what other culinary offerings are served up there (besides duck and goose) that I should be aware of? I imagine with all that grain, Sask must have some beer/ale too?

10. Lmbkiller

Lmbkiller Senior Refuge Member