Justice Gorsuch to be deciding vote in 4-4 split case involving unions.

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by Bear, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Man...this could be the start of something big depending on how many 4-4 cases there are. Seems like party politics hasn't escaped the SCOTUS. All eyes on Justice Gorsuch for awhile.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...o-hear-big-new-challenge-to-labor-unions.html

"Supreme Court, with Gorsuch on bench, to hear big new challenge to labor unions"​

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  2. API

API Political Action Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Anyone thinking that unions are one big brotherhood looking out for you is living in a fantasy world. All unions want is your dues to spend as they see fit. Even organized labor promoting organizations recognize that union membership is falling in all sectors except government. That ought to speak a loud and clear message.

http://ilo.org/washington/ilo-and-t...market/union-membership-us/lang--en/index.htm

3. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

I've got some good and bad stories about unions...especially oil field experience with unions. Their impact in the JIT can disrupt everything and cost tens of thousands in delays and even risk lives. I'll share them later.

4. API

I've been through three different attempts to organize workers (CWA twice and Teamsters once). Fortunately, we were able to easily demonstrate to the folks designated to be in the bargaining unit that they were better off in the long run not being represented by a union.

5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Anyone know what percentage of unions are made up of attorneys, and what percent of union dues pay the salaries of said attorneys? I would suspect both are high...

6. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

To see where ones admin dues and monthly dues go, all one has to do is look at the LM2.
    In regards to PAC dues, which are voluntary it is in the hands of the administration.

7. API

No arm twisting or peer pressure allowed?

8. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

Nobody has ever pushed the issue with me, but I'm part of a renegade crane crew.
    Walker and Ryan enjoyed the checks our hall cut them fwiw.

9. API

A couple of duck hunting friends are longshoremen. Because of the nature of the harbor work, getting into the union is a big deal (most do casual work while waiting their turn to get on the roll). The pay is pretty good, so no telling what they are willing to accommodate. Don't know if longshoremen are a good example or not. :scratch