Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Juvie dekes or ?

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by portahunter, Mar 1, 2017.

1. kjl845

kjl845 Refuge Member

I agree but only have a few dozen of this brand. Majority of my spread are Anser brand which have a rubber "O" ring for a collar.

2. Empty Skies

Empty Skies Elite Refuge Member

Agree, that's why I sold mine & bought a product that has the tubing & with a better collapsible support system .... imo

3. Rudd

Rudd Refuge Member

i have 30 dz whiterocks and do like them a lot. However, i have significantly more Skyfly than whiterocks.. and i like the way they deploy and break down, and am looking to get the whole spread to be the same. I will be selling the whiterocks, and going with all SkyFly for next spring, and i highly recommend SkyFly.

For the original question, I dont believe a guy even needs any blue decoys in his spread to kill birds, much less a juvie decoy...

crokilr likes this.
  4. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

Ok I will be the first to admit I like having some juvies in the spread as I am a firm believer in "matching the hatch" (to borrow from my fly fishing addiction),,,, and in keeping with that, I also like a sprinkling of blues (even though we don't get many blues our way) as well as a few dozen specks, lesser canadas and if time even some mallard and pintails. The reason being we have a lot of pepper in our feeding flocks both spring and fall and if we can sucker in grays and ducks that has to got help with the confidence level of bringing in a few skeptical snow goose on those days with less than perfect conditions.

Neck Collar likes this.
  5. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

I'm the same. I think 70-80% of ours are white, but we like to mix in blues and juvies.

6. CamoHunter870

CamoHunter870 Elite Refuge Member

I also have a mix of blues and also a couple doz juvy decoys in my spread just to add color and realism to the spread. Out of any birds I've ever seen on the ground, there are always blues or juv's mixed in with them so like to go with the same look.

Who knows if it helps kill more birds are not.