K&N Air intake...57 or 63 Series.....or

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by Trophyduck, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Trophyduck

Trophyduck Elite Refuge Member

just a new and improved intake tube. I have read things as the intake tube dies the most good. True? If so I could just get this for half the price of a new intake filter and all.
    I have a GMC Sierra 1500 5.3L
    Also I can't find which is better (or even different) the K&N 57 or 63 series intake kits.

thanks

2. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

You have some kind of corrugated pipe looking thing under there now correct? The smooth tube should theoretically improve air flow.

Different vehicles perform differently with the K&N set ups. That Dodge with the 5.9 I had before was a popular drag truck. Guys that raced found that you got just as much of an improvment with the drop in filter as with the whole intake.

I put the whole intake on my jeep for grins and giggles. It has a smooth plastic intake and the cone filter. I noticed a slight seat-of-pants improvement but nothing as far as fuel economy.

I also have a Sierra with the 5.3 but have not messed with a filter for it yet.

callinfowl likes this.
  3. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Don't waste your money on the air intake , if anything just buy to K&N drop in replacement filter , like mentioned above.

I bought the whole cold air intake and for my 06 2500 HD 6.0 gasser ,never noticed ANY improvement , none..... NADA .

4. uglymud

uglymud Refuge Member

Go with the drop in filter. Cold air intakes don't really do any good.

5. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

You'll never notice any difference from just a cai or a filter, other than more noise. Combined with other mods you can actually accomplish something, but on their own you'll never actually notice anything.

6. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

I got rid of my K&N and went back to a paper filter, jury is still out on whether the oil clogs up Mass Air Flow sensor or not. Not worth the hassle just got rid of it.

7. Trophyduck

Trophyduck Elite Refuge Member

Dang...they went on sale so I bought one before y'all replied......I haven't installed it yet.....

8. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Zero felt difference from the K&N "drop-in" on my Tundra. Zero difference either way for fuel economy. Only reason I bought it was because you can have it serviced, and it has a million mile warranty (and mine was making a whistling noise that even the new filter didn't fix). Sounds like a PSD turbo whistling at 2100-2500 RPM ( :scratch ). 230K and still running strong though. :tu

9. boodog

boodog Senior Refuge Member

I've run the K&N filter charger system on 3 different rigs and found no difference, except I'm convinced the oil fouls the mass air flow sensor on my Tahoe-had to clean the sensor a dozen times over 110,000 miles-a pain. I'm running a drop in custom filter on on my chevy truck-no need to oil-no problems.

10. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Seems to be a very slight acceleration difference especially when I'm getting on the interstate with the K&N doing a bit better. So it takes me a couple seconds longer to get up to 70 mph, still not worth it having to clean the MAF so often.