Kayak for duck hunting sloughs

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Sunklands, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Sunklands

Sunklands Senior Refuge Member

looking at some kayaks in the $250-$400 range and 9.5-10.5' long. Looking at Dunham's and Academy. What do you guys think?

2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Since I'm usually heavily dressed in warm clothing, with considerable gear stowed in the pockets, on the water when there are very low temperatures (both air and water temps), when I'm duck hunting; I'll save the kayaks for summer fun. That's what I think.

Now, Acorn Ridge may be in Florida, where duck hunting counts as a summer pastime, so you'll have to make your own determination.

3. Sunklands

It doesn't set in consistently cold until duck season is over. I'm in "swampeast" Missouri so, it's not as harsh where your at. A couple sloughs and flooded tupelo flats that I sometimes hunt, aren't deep but the mud is. Kinda like the ones with a backrest.

4. xpress1650

xpress1650 New Member

What about the stealth 2000?

5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

If you are just using it for to/from (not shooting from it), consider a sit on top, as it’ll be easier with waders. If you’re gonna shoot from it, make sure you get one you can get in and out of with waders on pretty easily. I have an Ascend FS10, and it’s a tight fit to get out of in waders. Wife’s Old Town Vapor 10 is much easier to exit in waders, but doesn’t have as good of a seat. We usually float 8-10 miles (creek floats), and my back can’t take a crappy seat. Get a good paddle. And a good life jacket.

Sunklands likes this.
  6. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

I have been wanting the same thing and started looking (even looked used). When you really look at weight capacity you have to spend a lot more than 400. At least for me being around 220. By the time you get decoys, clothing and wader bag that 275 max that a lot of them have just isn't enough. Those Ascend boats are very nice boat and probably have enough weigh capacity to carry most everything you need.

7. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I bought a 12 foot sit on top camo Ocean Beach kayak for $400 on a Gander Mountain sale just before they started their liquidation sale. Saved $100 off of what was the going price among a number of retailers, then got another $50 off cause I pointed a scratch on the bow. That was a year ago. I just saw a similar one advertised at Tractor Supply for $399 this weekend . I would only go for a sit on cause of waders etc, it would be hard to get in and out a sit in. Also, if it flips who wants to struggle to get out of a sit in with wader boots that are jammed. At 63, I have yet to use it for duck hunting. We are well set up with blinds, jonboats, BBSB, etc, but think it's a great, stable kayak and can see it being used for backwaters, sheltered areas.

8. Sunklands

As far as packing alot of weight, I'm by far the most of it. At 210lbs, the old Auto 5 and 7-8 decoys, I won't be packing much. About 10' is all I want and waste deep water is about the max depth. I'll use it in flooded timber, sloughs and in rice fields if and when birds get savvy to blind location.

9. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Have you looked at the 10' aqua pod sport? Capacity is 355 pounds. It's a bit above your price range new but you can find them used in the 400-500 range. I use mine as a layout blind and for floating creeks. Have a momarsh backrest that works great with it.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  10. Sunklands

Sounds like what I'm looking for, thanks BB.