Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Kayak hunting

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Dgj76, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Dgj76

Dgj76 New Member

For those that float the rivers in a kayak or boat..my question is how close do you usually get to them(ducks and /or geese)do you still camo,and are you using a full or mod choke

2. SPOONKILR

SPOONKILR Elite Refuge Member

15-30 yards on average.It really depends on the situation! I shoot full at everything.
    IMG_2182.jpg no special camo but i do think a face mask helps!

3. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Aqua pod? Nice greenheads ..

4. Fowl-Action

Fowl-Action Senior Refuge Member

Id say it depends on the kind of river, the river I float occasionally has a lot of twists and turns and sandbars with a lot of buck brush on them, if you hug the back sides of the sandbars and the insides of the corners you can get pretty close (25-40 yards) but the birds on the strait away sections usually tend to flare before their in range at least in my experience.

as far as camo, I usually just toss a piece of plastic fencing over the bow that I've zip tied some raffia mixed with local veg too. no clue if it actually makes a difference but in my head a floating grass pile coming down the river looks better then a small boat.

5. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Been a long time since I floated a river but when I did, I used a 13' wooden jon boat that I built. The design of the boat made it very user friendly for just one person and I learned to paddle from just one side which kept down movement that would alert resting ducks. For camo, I used some scraps of burlap draped over some small brush on the front end.
    Probably 75% of the ducks I shot came from the slack water on inside bends of the river. Most of the others came from behind downed trees along the banks in the straightaways. When approaching either of those situations, I would position the boat as best as possible, lay the paddle down and pick up the gun whether I knew there were ducks or not. Let the current get you closer to your objective. Doing that ahead of time would give you a second or two advantage on flushing ducks.
    Try to keep whatever craft you are using off of rocks and other obstacles. Sound carries a long way over water and the ducks don't need any more advantage. Also, keep your paddle tethered. You don't want to be up that well known tributary without any means of propulsion. Some form of PFD is highly advisable.

Sault Ste. Marie likes this.
  6. SPOONKILR

SPOONKILR Elite Refuge Member

Yes on the Pod. Old one but still a pod.

7. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Love the pods, awesome little crafts.

8. DMallard

DMallard Senior Refuge Member

Dad built me a little wooden layout/sneak boat a few years ago. On this day, the wind was right and I was able to just lay down and see through the grass on the sides of the boat while the wind pushed me downstream. Black duck was shot at 10 yds only because I didn't want to be any closer for a shot. Gadwalls stayed on the other side of the river while I floated past and gave me a 25 yd shot. I rarely jump shoot ducks (geese are a different story) but the conditions were just too perfect on this hunt.

20180120_092609.jpg

9. brayden anderson

brayden anderson New Member

IMG_0125-1.jpeg IMG_0025.jpeg bought a kayak before the season to hunt sloughs in my area. used paracord, zipties, and plastic fence to attach cover to and it worked well, most birds i shot were all 15-20 yrds.

10. saltdux

saltdux Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

This pond is the tailout of a creek...
    [​IMG]

Camo panel and some native veg. gets the job done. 10-30 yard shots are the norm. I normally shoot a lt. Full for everything, but a mod or lt. mod would get the job done.