Kayak hunting

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Dgj76, Feb 5, 2018.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

For those that grass their craft...

I hunt small creeks this way sometimes, but the camo always seems to get torn off when I try and hug banks or hit anything with the sides, really. Never tried the plastic fencing. Does it help prevent that?

2. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Gotta ask.....in the backwaters of the Mississippi River (northern Illinois), if my marsh boat is
    covered in "camo", I can't legally oar, paddle or drift to approach ducks. It is identified as a floating
    blind (not anchored) which is illegal. If I removed the "camo" (paint does not count) that would be
    legal. I did check with a Federal Game Warden about this. What am I missing?

3. DMallard

DMallard Senior Refuge Member

Yes, it will help. Mine uses the military style 3D netting, like what you see on Saltdux rig, with raffia grass zip tied to it. Pretty simple and the grass won't come off. Plastic fencing would be more durable, as the 3D netting has a better chance of ripping.

4. noweil

noweil Elite Refuge Member

It isn't a federal thing, it is a state law in IL. We can't jump shoot or scull out of a boat that is covered with camo. Camo paint is legal but not grass, brush, or camo netting.