Kayak Slip

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by partyfowl, Aug 12, 2018.

1. partyfowl

partyfowl Senior Refuge Member

I know im not the first to try this. But there are a few spots I want to hunt this year that are screaming for my Trident 15. Shallow, hard to get to in a boat and almost impossible any other way.

I've shot off of it before and it's more than stable enough. A dozen decoys and everything needed for a minimalist hunt fits in the tank well. Retrieving birds in deeper water without a dog is a snap. And it's pretty fast.

Now, it's yum-yum yellow so I have to make a slip. This is what I have so far. It's a freeze protection fabric under 3D camo netting. I also put plastic fencing in between so natural cover can be added.

Anyone whos ever tried something like this before... Thoughts and pointers are more than appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. MQ

MQ Elite Refuge Member

I have made a similar covering for my little layout boat. I covered the boat with green plastic fencing, using zip ties to hold the sections of fencing together. Then zip tied the 3D camo to the fencing. If my boat had been yellow, I probably would have put a layer of burlap under the 3D camo.

partyfowl likes this.
  3. partyfowl

I've been playing with it, and it goes on in about a minute.
    20180812_173444.jpg 20180812_173524.jpg 20180812_173742.jpg 20180812_173858.jpg 20180812_174052.jpg
    This $20 Amazon 3D camo aint half bad if you ask me.

4. delta greenheads

delta greenheads Senior Refuge Member

Attach 18” pieces of tangle free line in places so u can just tie on some brush it works great and is easy to untie and get rid of the brush after the hunt I use that on my float tube work great

hunt'ngreen and partyfowl like this.
  5. Sweatliner

Sweatliner Elite Refuge Member

Nice job. Looks great

partyfowl likes this.
  6. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

I'd hit it with brown and tan rattlecan to break it up some.

partyfowl likes this.
  7. dwhauss

dwhauss Senior Refuge Member

Bring a GPS so you can mark where your gun settles after dropping it. Seriously, Having spent thousands of hours in open water on SOT kayaks, HUGE concern is what sinks when you drop it or roll the boat. Its not if, its when that is going to happen. Something to think about. Other than that, like what you've done, and hope it works well for you. I would start with 6 or 7 dekes instead of a dozen and see what happens. Good luck, and be safe.

8. partyfowl

I get what you're saying. And I do have a fish finder with the capability of marking a waypoint.

I dove for abalone on this thing, so I'm used to strapping everything down on entry and exit. I go ahead and assume I'm going to roll it, so everything gets tied down so i wont lose it. I'll probably attach my extra paddle leash to the sling on my gun while I hunt. I'll figure the best spot out so it won't impede shooting.

I shot off it twice last year, and I really liked how it tucked into the tules. I just need a better way of hiding it.

9. partyfowl

That's a good idea.

I was going to bring it out, set it up in the tules and walk 60 or 70 yards away. See how it looks as is, and make any changes at that point.

I don't want to spray it first and regret it.

10. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

Meh, I rattle can everything. That whole yellow beast would have been painted in redneck shadow grass day one. Netting always looks like a blob. I’d paint and then cover in killer weed.

Silver Wings likes this.