Kayak's for hunting

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by StrutNut, Sep 12, 2017.

1. StrutNut

StrutNut New Member

Anyone doing this? I recently bought an Ocean Kayak Big Prowler Big Game II for fishing and hunting out of. Here is my son in it and of course I wouldnt have the flag on it for hunting.
    Josh Kayak 2.jpg

2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I wouldn't try to shoot out of that vessel, but it could get you to the spot you want.

3. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Looks like he's sitting on a lawn chair.

StrutNut likes this.
  4. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

People do layout hunts in sit in style boats smaller than kayaks. I have a 10' boat and layout for divers.

StrutNut likes this.
  5. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

Nice rig. This time of year I troll for salmon with mine. Ive got a jackson cuda 12. The flag/light is only there to meet coast guard night requirements on the great lakes. When hunting mine is plenty stable to shoot from as long as you dont do anything too stupid. That big game is wider than my kayak and more stable so I wouldn't worry. An angry 30lb chinook salmon running puts more sideload on the boat than a shotgun blast will. My brother hunts out of an el cheapo walmart sit inside all the time without issue. That said he makes sure he is ran aground in the marsh when hunting. Your rig will work fine. Hopefully a certain individual doesn't turn your thread into a sales pitch.
    FB_IMG_1505315890070.jpg

6. StrutNut

StrutNut New Member

Nice rig, yeah, we have had some descent northerns hit on the side and no worries on the stability. I want to get mine out on Lake Michigan chasing kings really badly but will likely have to wait a year. Good luck this fall! Yes, its like sitting on a lawn chair and this one is in the high position for fishing. I can move it to the bottom position which will be even more stable and lower profile.

7. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

:l

8. JohnBZ

The fall run is a blast. It may not fully compare to saltwater but nothing in the Midwest runs harder than a chinook. Getting towed in the kayak by a king is some good fun ! My suggestion is if you have a multiposition seat to shoot from the low position. I hunt from the low and fish from the high. When it gets windy I go to the low position and it makes paddling quite a bit easier. If you don't have one already be sure to get a good paddle. I've got a Werner high angle and a bending branches fishing paddle. The bending branches is better for cruising because it has lower effort and is slower so it is actually better for trolling. I still typically run the Werner for safety and speed when I need it. It has alot more power which can help keep you out of trouble if it gets a little rough. More so than current, wind is the enemy.

StrutNut likes this.
  9. JohnBZ

@StrutNut the king run is epic this year.
    20171008_105226.jpg 20171008_123822.jpg

10. rscholl

rscholl Senior Refuge Member

Check out Bass Pro for their "kayak blind" - like a layout blind for use in a kayak. Made for a specific brand of kayak but I put one on a Native Mariner and it fit great.