Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

KEEPING THE BREAST MEAT

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by BADLARRY250, Apr 18, 2017.

1. BADLARRY250

BADLARRY250 Refuge Member

Is it possible to keep the breast meat and still get the bird mounted ?

2. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

If I kill a duck or goose that I want to save for mounting, I breast the meat out for myself since I hate to waste it. I stuff wet paper towel in the breast area and re-position the breast skin so the fat doesn't have a chance to leach into the feathers and freeze it. I believe another taxidermist has stated that freezing ducks whole and then later breasting out the meat is the best way to keep meat from becoming freezer-burnt. Are you asking about turkeys, ducks, pheasants, or anything in particular? I will cut the meat out for customers who bring in a freshly killed turkey if they ask and are willing to wait while I do it so I can give it right back instead of bagging, freezing and storing. I use a clean filet knife, but do know others who do not because of liability if someone gets sick from unclean hands/knives, etc.... I really wouldn't want to stop and cut out meat from every duck that comes in so I've never offered or done that. Ironically here in Illinois a law was passed a couple years ago requiring all usable (breast) meat be removed from all gamebirds for consumption. No exclusion was written for taxidermy specimens. I inquired about this and have not been given an definite answer other than "don't worry about it". If a customer asked if he could breast out their duck prior to bringing it in, I'd recommend against it to prevent possible feather/skin damage.

3. BADLARRY250

BADLARRY250 Refuge Member

i was talking mainly about ducks and geese. i also hate to throw away perfectly good meat for no reason