Kent Bismuth

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by ford4wd08, Oct 3, 2017.

1. ford4wd08

ford4wd08 New Member

Hi all, I'm picking up a winchester model 12 this week that might make an ocansional trip with me to the duck blind. It is a 12 ga 2 & 3/4" gun with a 30 inch mod barrel. I've read the debates on steel shot in old guns, but I think I'm going to stick with the Kent Bismuth shot as it isn't crazy expensive compared to some.

My question is what is the best 2 & 3/4" load for decoying ducks from a blind? Is 1 & 1/4 oz enough? I see cabelas has some exclusive to cabelas 1 & 3/8 oz in 2 & 3/4" that are size 5 shot. I'm debating in what shot size to go with......

Any help is appreciated!

2. shell waster

shell waster Senior Refuge Member

I would go with the 1 1/4 in #4 if you can get that. Read that the bismuth is a little smaller than average. Not 100% if that applies the Kent vs Rios on the smaller size. I am just dumbfounded how much ammo is these days. I remember buying tungsten matrix for around $15 for 10 shells and thought what a rip off....I should have bought a truck load and sold it for $30 a box

3. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

I bought a bunch of tungsten matrix 2 3/4" 1 3/8oz #3's on a closeout for dirt cheap many years ago. Still have 10 boxes or so. I'd sell them if somebody wanted them.

4. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I have a buddy that has been shooting his numerous Model 12's with modified chokes for ducks since steel shot came out and he and his sons have not had problems.
    Just sayin.

They did have one in full choke that developed a very slight bulge at the choke area.

5. ford4wd08

ford4wd08 New Member

I'm sure that is good and all, but why not use superior shot and not even risk anything?

It won't be my normal hunting gun. Just be for a vintage shoot it you will.

I've got a new V3 to cover all my steel shooting needs.

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

It's your money, do what you want. Sounds like you have your mind made up anyway.

7. ford4wd08

ford4wd08 New Member

Ok, but trying to rude here, but explain how either of these post are relevant to my question?

The thread is titles "Kent Bismuth" not "what shells will work in my Model 12"

I've read hours of post about model 12's, I know what's out there and that many have shot steel through them.

I asked specifically about loads from Kent. I don't want to shoot steel. Just looking for info on bismuth as ove never used it.

8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

You aren't risking anything in a Mod barrel shooting 2's and smaller in steel.

Yes

2's are too big, IMO, over decoys. 5's will be fine out to 40 yards.

9. Snake Oil

Snake Oil New Member

I'm interested. How much for all 10 boxes?

10. ford4wd08

ford4wd08 New Member

Thank you for answering my question.