Kerry Denounced U.S. as 'The Real Criminal' in Vietnam

Discussion in 'World News / Current Events Forum' started by Tom Phillips*, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Tom Phillips*

Tom Phillips* Elite Refuge Member

Kerry Denounced U.S. as 'The Real Criminal' in Vietnam

During his war protest days in the early 1970s, Democratic presidential front-runner John Kerry once denounced the United States of America as "the real criminal" in the Vietnam War.

In comments first reported by the New York Times 33 years ago, Kerry condemned the entire country as "criminal" during a 1971 demonstration on Wall Street, a few weeks after the trial of Lt. William Calley.

"Guilty as Lieutenant Calley may have been of the actual act of murder, the verdict does not single out the real criminal ... the United States of America," railed the future Democratic presidential hopeful.

The damning comment was unearthed by the Baltimore Sun, which reprinted Kerry's outburst in its Saturday edition exactly as quoted above.

The Sun also revisited other anti-war comments by Kerry that have yet to receive significant exposure, including remarks Kerry uttered on NBC's "Meet the Press" a few weeks after the Wall Street protest.

"I committed the same kinds of atrocities as thousands of others," he told the network, "in that I shot in free-fire zones, fired .50-caliber machine bullets, used harass-and-interdiction fire, joined in search-and-destroy missions and burned villages."

Though NBC has the Kerry interview on tape, it has so far declined to broadcast his revealing comments.

The Sun also obtained reactions from two of Kerry's Swift Boat mates in Vietnam, who told the paper they were deeply disturbed by his anti-war activities.

Kerry crewman James Wasser said he was "absolutely upset" over his former commanding officer's claims that the U.S. committed wartime atrocities as a matter of course.

Saying he recalled no such war crimes, Wasser said of Kerry, "I felt betrayed."

Shipmate Bill Zaladonis was also offended by Kerry's claims. "I didn't like the idea [of Kerry condemning his fellow servicemen]," he told the Sun.

"I certainly didn't believe that all Vietnam veterans were baby-killing women rapers. Most people I know agree with me - they didn't see it."

While Wasser and Zaladonis remain troubled by Kerry's anti-war past, they're split over whether they intend to support him for president.

"I'm still studying it," Zaldonis told the Sun, while Wasser occasionally campaigns for the Massachusetts Democrat.

2. EZ40

EZ40 Senior Refuge Member

This just gets better and better every day. Kerry sounds like one heckuva' guy.

3. 3-1/2in.steel

3-1/2in.steel Elite Refuge Member

Going to get real messy ...real fast... I believe this will be one of the dirtiest campaigns in recent times.

No one really needs to look any further than Kerry's voting record to see where he stands on issues. You could not get two more opposite canidates than GW and Kerry.

4. MUDDYPATUX

MUDDYPATUX Elite Refuge Member

At least Bush has a little more of a record to defend this time. He can't just run on his daddys name.

College:

got in on Daddy's name

National guard:

got in on Daddy's name

Buisnesses :

got in on Daddy's name

Politics

got in on Daddy's name

5. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

Must be something to be said for having a good family name. I heard John F'n changed his given name from 'Butthead' to Kerry. ;) :nutz :D

6. Tom Phillips*

Yep.

He's doing okay.

7. Tom Phillips*

I think many people still refer to him by that previous name. It sort of stuck.

8. webfootedquacker

webfootedquacker Elite Refuge Member

BWAHAHAHAHA.

Yeah muddy, daddies are powerful people. They can make the millions and millions of Texans vote how ever they want them to.

I could have sworn the millions and millions of Texans voted GW in, not his daddy. To suggest that the people of Texas are ignorant enough to vote for someone because of who their father is, is an insult to the good people of Texas.

He got elected in Texas the same way he got elected Pres., the people where fed up with the current Democrat that was in office.

But we tend to value our freedoms more here in the South, than you Massuchusettes folks.

9. Steve Borgwald

Steve Borgwald Elite Refuge Member

College:got in on Daddy's name
    National guard:got in on Daddy's name. Buisnesses:got in on Daddy's name.
    Politics:got in on Daddy's name.

Prove it. Just one reliable link to back any of it up.

10. lad52

lad52 Elite Refuge Member

You statements indicate your ignorance.

My wife went to an Ivy League school (Princeton). They do not accept you on daddy's name. If you have the grades to get in, then yes, you will be given slight preference as the son or daughter of an alumnus, but you have to have the grades.

About as stupid as your stuff gets. Daddy's name to get into the guard? Like saying he got into a grocery store on daddy's name. What a joke.

Yep, those business owners let someone take over and run their company because their daddy said they were good. Exactly the way corporations are run. What a clown you are.

Did GHW Bush help his son run for elective office? Sure. But the bottom line is GW Bush got the votes of hundreds of thousands of voters who only know his dad by name. Or do you suppose his dad bought the elections?

If you don't like the guy, fine. That's your right. But this stuff is pure unadulterated horse crap. :rolleyes: