Kids and ghosts

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by DtSB, Dec 4, 2017.

1. DtSB

DtSB Senior Refuge Member

The day I've been dreading has finally arrived. My 3 year old daughter has told us that she see's a "ghost" in her room at night. And it scares the living crap out of her.

Every night, she ends up in our bed. Its been this way for about 2 years now, and we've tried so many things to stop it, but nothing has worked. So she falls asleep in her bed and at some point in the night, she will get hysterical and want to come in our bed. When I say hysterical, I am talking like total freak out mode. To the point that I sometimes think that something is actually wrong or hurting her. Her doctor says its night terrors, and it is what it is.

So anyhow, she's getting better at speaking, and has been slowly telling us that her room is scary for one reason or another. But none of the reasons ever made sense, so we just brushed them off. Until recently..

For about 2 months, she's been coming into our bed at 11:55pm on the dot every night. Some nights shes calmer than others, but still hysterical for the most part. Once in our bed, she's pretty much ok and sleeps the rest of the night without waking. Last night again she was in total freak out mode, cowering in the corner of her bed like she was hiding from something. This morning, she wouldn't even step foot in her bedroom to change clothes, and told my wife that she was sleeping last night, but woke up because someone was staring at her, and that they wouldn't leave her alone. As you might imagine, wifey is somewhat disturbed by this.

The house newer (2001) is secure. Two dogs, widows and doors secure, and high enough that one would need a ladder to climb in them. Also we have the window shades recessed into the window frames, so they'd need raised to get through them.

Now I grew up in a house built in the early 1800's, and that place creeped me out for my entire childhood. I may or may not have seen and heard things, but I was mostly able to rationalize them. My parents will tell you that the house was haunted, but they've never told me or my sister why they think so. So these type of things aren't foreign to me, but dealing with it as a parent is. Personally, I'm not sure what to make of it.

2. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

Maybe you should try sleeping in the ghost room.

J.SCOTT, sdkidaho and Squaller like this.
  3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Put up a trail cam, and show her the results the next day?

4. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

Maybe you should call somebody....but who ya gonna call?
    322px-Ghostbusters_Cover_Modul.jpg

Allan and widgeon like this.
  5. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

Their are haints.

6. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Is there a toy, alarm, or something that makes noise or turns on every night about that time?
    I say go sleep in there with her one night and see what's up.

7. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

Move one or both of the dog's crates to her room.
    My SIL did this and it worked perfectly.

8. DtSB

DtSB Senior Refuge Member

We’ve put the dogs in there and she does sleep better. The dogs like to roam around the house though and if they aren’t in her room when she wakes up in the night, she still freaks out.

My wife and I have both slept in her room with and without her for various reasons in the last year, and neither of us have been bothered.

She’ll go to sleep in our bed and sleep there all night without waking, even if neither of us are ever sleeping in the bed with her.

9. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

Tell ghost stories before bedtime.

After all this time have you stayed up to monitor what is happening. Does she sleep with the door open? Does she attend daycare? Close by neighbors that get home late?

10. ducknwork

ducknwork Elite Refuge Member

My daughter, now 10, swears to this day that the light fixture in her room in our old house would come down at night and touch her. She was maybe 3 then. We finally replaced it and it was all good after that.
    Anytime our kids have ever started with the monster/ghost/nightmare things, we'd get a dream catcher for them and explain it or better yet, a crucifix and/or rosary. That has always solved it.