Kids and ghosts

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by DtSB, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Actually,

Catholic priests will come an "exorcise" a house... Maybe it would be good for your daughter to have such an event take place? However, maybe such could also give her validation that such exists, and give her more cause to be scared... That is a discussion and thought that your wife and you should have together.

I find the idea of ghosts, alien abductions, and bigfoot, all to be highly suspect to believability. But, having not died yet, and knowing that we have very little understanding of the "human spirit," I will say that while I do not "believe in such myself," I would not make the presumption of categorically denying that such exists...

How many reliable witnesses (i.e. what percentage of the population) would have to see a ghosts, before such became accepted??? In my case, I would probably have to see such to believe it.

If we believe in a Deity that allows our spirit to live on for eternity, it is not such a great leap to believe that some of those spirits could get "trapped" on an earthly realm... The idea of "spirits & ghosts" has been around since the beginning of all religious beliefs and millions of people have throughout history have proclaimed to witness such... The logical part of my brain simply cannot wrap itself around such beliefs though.

But the fact that she is seeing something, could be more due to a vivid imagination and over-active intellect with no outlet... I remember seeing some crazy stuff in waking dreams... I still have difficulty sleeping due to my brain not wanting to shut off when I am trying to sleep. Peoples' minds and brains have some crazy ways of playing tricks on them...

I would fall back on my original post of monitoring diet and sugar intake, being cognizant of TV and reading material, as well as finding other "non-threatening" intellectual activities to engage the child during waking hours...

2. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

The bible has some great passages that could very well be comforting to a child... It also has some scary SH**. Make sure that the more comforting passages and stories are read...

There are some great religious stories and book designed for young children, that I might consider reading at such a young age, as opposed to the bible.

3. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

Leave it to the refuge brain trust to solve any problem. :l

4. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

A few years after my father had passed on and I had taken over the estate, my wife came running out of the back bedroom with a scared look on her face. I asked her what was wrong? She replies, go back there and tell me what you smell? Now I'm thinking maybe a dead mouse or the dog took a dump, but once I entered the room all I could smell was Old Spice aftershave. To this day, I can't explain it seeing as we spent two years slowly remodeling the place and even now once in a great while, you will catch a whiff of it.

5. Roy G.

Roy G. Refuge Member

When my son was about two years old maybe three, we were on the beach one day and he was having this long conversation with himself. My wife asked him who we was talking to and he answered "The old guy, mister Haney.!" like he expected us to see a guy standing next to him. He was convinced the guy was there with him. Fast forward to a couple years ago and I am researching family genealogy, having DNA studies done and sure enough, the name Haney comes up as a distant relative. I tell me wife and she gets creeped out by the information. We attribute all the weird noises in our house to the old guy Mister Haney.

Back to the original subject of this thread, both of my kids when they were young came into our room at night and jumped into our bed. After a few nights of poor sleep I told them it's Ok to come into our room, but you have to sleep on the floor. I had a pillow and blanket laid out so they didn't get cold. This didn't cure them immediately but after awhile of sleeping on the floor they both decided their beds were more comfortable.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  6. Mr. Chokesonducks

Mr. Chokesonducks Elite Refuge Member

Yes...only on the Fuge. Rather than analyzing the situation honestly, we jump to the conclusion of the most illogical, supernatural cause.

There is something in the child’s life that is causing this. Counseling and honest observation are obvious first steps.

7. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

I believe that there are things that are beyond our understanding like ghosts. I don't hold onto the notion that we as humans know everything because it doesn't fit into our realm of understanding. There are too many experiences of things that happen that are beyond explanation. Your daughter might be having nightmares or might actually be having spiritual visitors. The key is that you take her concerns seriously and don't just dismiss them. Young kids from what I understand can be more in tune with the spiritual world and see and experience things that we as adult with our logical and closed minds can't see.

dwhauss likes this.
  8. newduk

newduk Elite Refuge Member

I occasionally have night terrors. Very real to me. Just a few nights ago a faceless figure in a black hooded robe was trying to "get" me. When these nightmares occur, it wakes my wife up with my loud moans and tremors. She blames it on my watching snakes on the nature channel.
    Hope you can find a solution to your daughters dilemma. Good luck.

Roy G. likes this.
  9. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

When my oldest daughter was three, she was afraid of monsters in her room. So we went to the store (fleet farm, they have everything) and bought some Lysol monster spray. We sprayed her closet and under the bed. It worked.

Take her to the store and buy some Lysol ghost spray. Show her where it is written on the label. It might work.

Roy G. likes this.
  10. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

I don't believe in ghosts, but if you tell me someplace is haunted I ain't gonna stay there.